crankshaft endplay
-
Johns' wheels
crankshaft endplay
I recently purchased 72 super with 1600dp stock eng. Had clutch slipping problem. After pulling engine I found a partially collapsed diaphragm on the pres. plate. The disc looked great. The owner had told me that he did an eng rebuild about 2 years ago and after he ran it for a while the flywheel came loose and messed up the crank and flywheel which he replaced. It appears he installed a new disc but not pres. plate. I noticed excessive endplay in the crank. After checking the shims (.030) I also checked the thrust brg for play in the case. It has about .016 play between case and brg. I think this should be a snug fit. Am I correct? What are my options? I don't know if eng was ever cut before and prev owner doesn't remember. Any thoughts on how long it would last with that kind of play between brg and case? I don't really want to tear it down any further at this time.
- sparkmaster1
- Moderator
- Posts: 1978
- Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2001 1:01 am
crankshaft endplay
There should be 0 play in the bearing in the case. Your only good option is to tear apart the motor and have the thrust cut on the case and most likely a line bore also. If you're lucky maybe some of the internal parts might be ok to re-use. If you keep running the motor like that, it will just keep beating out the thrust surface on the case. Good luck. Tim
-
johns wheels
crankshaft endplay
Thanks, That's what I thought. I hate to bite the bullet but I guess I'll tear it down. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sparkmaster1:
There should be 0 play in the bearing in the case. Your only good option is to tear apart the motor and have the thrust cut on the case and most likely a line bore also. If you're lucky maybe some of the internal parts might be ok to re-use. If you keep running the motor like that, it will just keep beating out the thrust surface on the case. Good luck. Tim<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
There should be 0 play in the bearing in the case. Your only good option is to tear apart the motor and have the thrust cut on the case and most likely a line bore also. If you're lucky maybe some of the internal parts might be ok to re-use. If you keep running the motor like that, it will just keep beating out the thrust surface on the case. Good luck. Tim<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>