I've removed the right driveshaft (only the right side so far) from my '69 bug for inspection and re-packing of the CV's. First off I noticed a transmission leak right where the inner cup(CV COMPLETELY removed) attaches to the transmission, and its drippin really bad. How do I remove this cup, and what seal/gasket should I replace? Secondly, on the outer CV, the thick ring that holds everything in didn't come off (There's the thick ring plus the cup still attached)like it did on the inner side. Does this need to come off? Third, I believe I'd like to repack my rear wheel bearings while I'm doing all this work. Is it necessary to do anything from the inside, that is, should I take this oppportunity while my CV's are off to do this job? Fourth, I can't seem to get the damned rings off the hub, it doesn't seem as if they should come off at all. The balls are out already, but how do I get the rings over the hubs? Fifth, on the outside joint, the suspected clicking joint, I've found two of the balls to be brownish, but not "pits" or anything like that. Do they need to be replaced? If so, can I just replace one single CV Joint? I suppose thats it for now. Thanks to all replies in advance, I know I have alot of questions, but I really do appreciate any help and I think it's great I can get help at a place like this.
Thanks,
Andy