Well here I am trying to get ifo on stroking for stock size bore again. Dam bus, wish I could disregard sound advice and just go to 96mm to maintain width, or I could afford those Alcoa Jugs that can take the heat from the oven my engine is installed in. I refuse to make it a subagon even though this would probable be the cheapest.
Anyway, their is allot written about setting up geometry on type-1 and not much on type-4. I also assume it is pretty much the same.
I assume I will have to cut down my pushrods; and that the old 1.7 rockers, 911 adjusters and some shims won't do the trick for a 78mm by 94mm type-4. I got some pistons that are already sized an used for like motor, hope they work out.
1. I would like to purchase, since I'm not so good at making tools (that work!), an adjustable rocker for setup. But were? (for a type-4).
2. Can one actually order pushrods and tubes made to length from a VW machine shop or any were else. Problem is those in the know at these shops don't often answer the phone. They are to busy doing the work. I probably have to use the locals and put up with the lawn mower jokes?
Later, Camper man
Need to get to the fish faster.
And bring the boat!
pushrod lengths
-
alsehendo
- Posts: 1004
- Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2001 12:01 am
pushrod lengths
Woops "adjustable pushrod"
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
pushrod lengths
The pushrod and geometry is the same procedures for the TIV engine as TI...
You must do it correctly, there is no "Generic measurement" and make sure you use a pushrod with the same ball ends as the ones you plan on using in the engine, if not, every measuremet you take will change.
------------------
Jake Raby
Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com
You must do it correctly, there is no "Generic measurement" and make sure you use a pushrod with the same ball ends as the ones you plan on using in the engine, if not, every measuremet you take will change.
------------------
Jake Raby
Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com
- Searoy
- Posts: 2869
- Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2001 12:01 am
pushrod lengths
Use a long skinny flat blade screwdriver in the pushrod tube while you are inserting anything into the tube. Use the screwdriver to push up on the tip of the rod down by the lifter to make sure it goes in the cup and doesn't ride on the edge.
Ask me how I know...
------------------
*** Teach a Man to Fish ***
Searoy
"I tend to lean toward a tighter gap and a
looser skirt....a little slap never hurt." -- Joe of the West
Ask me how I know...
------------------
*** Teach a Man to Fish ***
Searoy
"I tend to lean toward a tighter gap and a
looser skirt....a little slap never hurt." -- Joe of the West
-
Tom Perso
- Posts: 1581
- Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2000 12:01 am
pushrod lengths
LOL Searoy,
Been there done it...
The pushrod can sit on the lip of the lifter very easily throwing off any adjustments you do. It's best to do the adjustments with the pushrod tubes off so you can see everything. But, when you do get those lifters cut and ready to install, pop a flashlight and a screwdriver down the tube to make sure the pushrod is seated correctly.
Later,
Tom
Been there done it...

The pushrod can sit on the lip of the lifter very easily throwing off any adjustments you do. It's best to do the adjustments with the pushrod tubes off so you can see everything. But, when you do get those lifters cut and ready to install, pop a flashlight and a screwdriver down the tube to make sure the pushrod is seated correctly.
Later,
Tom
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
pushrod lengths
Try it in a 914......you'll wanna shoot yourself.
------------------
Jake Raby
Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com
------------------
Jake Raby
Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com
- Dave_Darling
- Posts: 2534
- Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2000 12:01 am
pushrod lengths
You'll only wanna shot yourself once or twice.
Per pushrod.
--DD
------------------
1974 VW-Porsche 914 2.0 (Type IV powered!)
Pelican Parts' 914 Tech Geek http://www.pelicanparts.com
Per pushrod.

--DD
------------------
1974 VW-Porsche 914 2.0 (Type IV powered!)
Pelican Parts' 914 Tech Geek http://www.pelicanparts.com
-
Timas
- Posts: 79
- Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:50 am
Re: pushrod lengths
Hoping to restart this ancient thread. This was my first rebuild and I am certain that all of the encouraging words posted here and on other sites made me over confident I installed my old pushrods on new AMC heads. I could never get the bus to start after trying for months. I found other potential causes, but still nothing. I finally broke down and paid a mechanic $1k to tell me that my valve adjustment is garbage, rocker geometry is out of whack and that bus sounds like crap . He would not even start the bus for me to hear the noises. IAll things considered I think improper rod length could be very likely. Can I keep the motor installed and still check rod length?
Live each day as it is your last, and 1 day you will be right.
1977 bus
2.0L / Cali bus
Aka: I get more attention than your super car
1977 bus
2.0L / Cali bus
Aka: I get more attention than your super car