Making that Engine Decision

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
BugsInMyHead
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2000 12:01 am

Making that Engine Decision

Post by BugsInMyHead »

I've got a '74 standard sedan. I love the VW's all of their style and engineering quirks. But, if there is one thing my car lacks its power and fuel economy Image So, since I am mechanically inclined and a bit of an engineer I want to change engines. The question is which one?? I'd thought a lot about the mazda rotor's but I don't hear good things about their economy (excellent power to weight though). The subaru is a good option, but doesn't have the effect that I am looking for (also a lover of the 70's muscle cars). So I've come across this engine that Fiero guys have been putting in their cars. Its a 3.8L pontiac V6 that's turbocharged makes 250 hp and, according to them still gets 22 in city and 30+ hwy. Just wondering what you guy thought, and if you have any useful info (especially about fit). I'm also up for any other engine suggestions (other than Ford 4 bangers).
User avatar
Richard Olafsson
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2001 12:01 am

Making that Engine Decision

Post by Richard Olafsson »

I don't know what effect you are looking for but my recently installed Impreza turbo engine gives about 240bhp and you could fit it under your stock deck lid. It also keeps the boxer weight distribution and sound.
I still haven't dared to really put my foot down yet (wheel spinning in 3rd at 60mph!).
Depending on where you are located, there are plenty of Jap car importers out there and you could get a Japanese spec WRX with 280bhp easily...

Rich http://www.ricola.co.uk

PS I saw a claim in Hot VWs that a guy was getting 40mpg in an otherwise standard notchback with this engine

[This message has been edited by Richard Olafsson (edited 04-20-2001).]
Post Reply