radiator location...

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
trevor_brady
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2000 12:01 am

radiator location...

Post by trevor_brady »

if (hypothetically) I was to put a water cooled motor in my bug, where would be the best place for the radiator? I've seen suggestions for the spare wheel well, in place of the fuel tank and over the gearbox... mines a standard beetle with pre '67 panels. I wouldn't want to have to cut any grills in the bonnet, hidden air scoops would be better...
if the radiator was front mounted, should the pipes be run inside or outside the car? could the original heater channels be used to run a pipe through?
what about a boxster type setup, 2 small radiator each side of the car?

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/trevorbrady
User avatar
Steve C
Posts: 1143
Joined: Sun May 14, 2000 12:01 am

radiator location...

Post by Steve C »

Hi
Do a search in this area of the forums, Im sure I have seen some good pics of a radaitor in a your style of bug. You can fit a custom radaitor in the spare wheel well, fit a vent the front apron and let the hot air flow out over the front end by either lifting the fuel tank or let it go out the steering box holes or the remove the little section where the brake fliud bootle sits. A lot depends on how hot your summers get as to how much cooling you need and of course the cooling needs of your selected engine. I have a 2.1 wasserboxer in my bug and I have ran a 1.5 stainless cooling pipe each side of the car where the chassis bolts to the heater channel.
Regards Steve C
Post Reply