E Brake ?

VW's aircooled mini SUV. Great for riding in the country, or cruising the beach.
GhiaRacing

E Brake ?

Post by GhiaRacing »

Hi Everyone!

It is hot here in SoCal. 104* in my house!!! 11:45 pm and we're at 93* in here. (Typical Californian, never happy with the weather)

I did get a chance to look a bit more thoroughly. Noticed that the whole e-brake assembly moved about 3 inches to 1 side or another. I pulled her up and it went back a good 10 clicks. I gave my Thing a shove and off she rolled! I can do the cable adjustment if its similar to most other VWs. My question is whats with the 6inch play? It's bolted in. But it looks to have huge amounts of wear. Expensive fix?

BTW, where is everyone? Forums been a bit stagnant, I hope everyone is well. Jeorge

------------------
68 Ghia
74 Thing
LB181

E Brake ?

Post by LB181 »

Hey Jeorge, the adjustment of the cable is like the other vws. If you have a lot of slack in the cables, you may want to check the shoe wear in the rear brakes. That may make take up some of the slack if they need replacement. If that is fine, you could try and adjust the cable. If you still have too much slack, maybe the cables are stretched. You should be able to adjust it out but replacement is cheap. I cant remember but I think the cable was like $9 each. Its an easy fix, just take off the drum, undo the cable at the brake lever, and pull them through. Then you grease up the new cable and slide it through. Easy fix. Keep us updated on your progress. Helps motivate me to get working on mine. Image
GhiaRacing

E Brake ?

Post by GhiaRacing »

Thanks, LB181! I started to worry that the Thing was built differently than other VWs. Under $10 fix sounds perfect for my budget.
Most the parts down there have surface rust on them. A few have locked up, I had to oil the e-brake for about 1 hour before it finally went. I think the brakes themselves might be seized (seized open.) Only 1 side seems to work, seems thats why the car pulls!

Anyone one know what year Bug I have to steal the brakes from? Image J

[This message has been edited by GhiaRacing (edited 09-03-2002).]
LB181

E Brake ?

Post by LB181 »

Bob posted this site. It has an interchange manual that talks about brakes and stuff. Check it out. http://www.geocities.com/vwtyp181/
GhiaRacing

E Brake ?

Post by GhiaRacing »

Thanks LB181, I found this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 1855630883
is this worth the paper it's printed on? J
LB181

E Brake ?

Post by LB181 »

I've never seen that but if it shows how everything goes back together like it says, it would be beneficial to you. Sounds like a decent deal. Another source that shows how everything bolts up is always nice.
GhiaRacing

E Brake ?

Post by GhiaRacing »

That's True.

No harm in seeing what it's about. I just won't buy lunch for 2 days Image
J
Bob Ingman

E Brake ?

Post by Bob Ingman »

the brakes on the Thing are very basic and easy. Mostly bug stuff with the exception of the rear drum. They are easy to work on and very rewarding . Nothing beats the feeling of a solid high brake pedal and good stopping ability. I always do brakes and suspension first on any VW. The time and labor are not immediately visable but you get that good feeling of knowing you have something solid from which to proceed to engine and then cosmetics. Good luck. Bob Ingman
GhiaRacing

E Brake ?

Post by GhiaRacing »

Your absolutely right Bob. My only problem is that I am more of a Ghia guy. This type of setup is weird to me.

I started thinking that a P.O. changed it with something else. I have never seen a thing as close as this one before and I really don't have much for reference. The drum looks seized and rusted beyond hope though. I may just replace it.

BTW, it is now braking with the front passenger brake only... All the brakes are shot. They all need replacement, it's as if they where put on brand new and never used 4 years ago...

New brakes on 4 corners, anyone know of a sale?

Bob, I saw your Thing on another thread. What kind of suspension incl. brakes do you have set up. Your Thing looks about 6 inches taller than mine. That's also the look I was hoping to go for.
Well the best Things in life are free, Thanks for all your free advice and support. J

[This message has been edited by GhiaRacing (edited 09-06-2002).]
Bob Ingman

E Brake ?

Post by Bob Ingman »

Ghia, my suspension is about stock. I`ve rotated the rear torsion bars by two clicks on the inside and used coil overs in front. The 15" tires added a lot of height also. I`m using 215/75R/15 front and 235/75R/15 rear. Wheels are 3 1/2" front and 7"rear.
The rear drum on the Thing is Thing only and cost more. I did find new ones in Portland for $55ea. Brakes were under $10 set.
I drilled my drums and pressed in studs to use the aftermarket wheels. They`re on there good. I like disc but am committed to wide five drums til I can afford a GOOD set of 5 hole disc. They are very expensive however so I`m not holding my breath. When this set of shoes is worn out I may manage it.
For now I`m just feeling good about my successful T-4 conversion and am working on a set of 4.86:1 gears for the transaxle. Where I live there are no high speeds and few other drivers so I`m satisfied with what I have for now.
If you do the complete brake system do`nt forget new master and wheel cylinders. You`ll be glad you did later. It simplifies a lot of troubleshooting and wrestling with old rusted out pieces. Again, good luck. Bob
GhiaRacing

E Brake ?

Post by GhiaRacing »

Sounds good Bob.
I am reading that Baja Book and have learned a few things. Not sure if I will be able to take on a few of those projects myself though. They brakes and suspension info you gave me will help.
What kind of Rims are those?
I am also looking about putting a T4 in, but that's at least a year from now. Or as soon as I kill the engine. Whichever comes first. I do love the engine it has now for street use (stock 1600) It's strong, quiet, and doesn't have the shakes.
First things first. Suspension and Brake need some real attention.
GhiaRacing

E Brake ?

Post by GhiaRacing »

Hi Bob, I just found this on the Introduction thread. Thanks
"I have ultra wheels with 3 1/2' fronts mounted with 215/75R/ 15 tires. At the rear I have 7" wheels mounted with 235/75R/ 15 tires. Hankook 6 ply all around."

How are the 3 1/2 fronts & 7" backs working for you? Was this for clearing purposes?
Thanks,J
Bob Ingman

E Brake ?

Post by Bob Ingman »

The combination of front and rear wheel sizes I`m using seems ideal. I did a lot of homework before hand and it paid off. No hastles with rubbing front or rear. Good luck. Bob Ingman
LB181

E Brake ?

Post by LB181 »

Bob, I noticed on topica some posts by you on disc brakes. You were saying that you would not convert unless you could get a really good set. Obviously they aren't as good as the performance brakes but have you ever looked into the wide 5 lug rear brake kit from SoCal Imports. They say it is recommended for bajas buggies and Things as it adds 1" to the wheel track. Also I was wondering what type of coilovers you used in the front suspension.
Bob Ingman

E Brake ?

Post by Bob Ingman »

LB there are lots of wide 5 disc kits out there but most are light duty for light rails or buggies. A quality set will be close to $100 a pr for a heavy vehicle such as the Thing. I would like to do it but I`m getting by fine as is with good new shoes and drums.
I`ve heard there is a new kit by So Cal Imports but hav`nt seen a Hot VWs up here to learn more about it.
I`m using the regular black and chrome cheapos from Chirco. Air shocks are an option as well which a lot of guys are forgetting about. High Jackers can be put on the Thing ,front and rear for about 3 easy inches of lift and still deliver a decent ride.
How`d you know I was on topica? I use a different name there. Good luck. Bob Ingman