weird body alignment question

Can't afford the rare and extreme car of your dreams? Well just build one.
User avatar
volksnut
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2001 12:01 am

weird body alignment question

Post by volksnut »

I noticed that on a lot of buggy bodys I've seen installed on a pan, the right rear tire hangs out further than the left. My Manx clone does, as my Barry T clone too, oh and a buddy's Barrien does also.Is this normal? Oh and while on that topic the motors are a little off center. Should one align the body to engine centerline and tire alignment or go with where the lower body fits the contour of the pan? any comments.....
User avatar
dstar5000
Posts: 4555
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 12:01 am

weird body alignment question

Post by dstar5000 »

My Bradley GT is only 1/4 inch out of alignment and I placed the body dead center.

Sometimes, it's a shift caused by the curing process. The earlier Bradleys had... er...interesting problems. Mine had small aligment probs with the mold that made for extra grinding and a little new glassing to make perfect.

Anyone want to see it, go to http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/vwheadsonly/

7K miles since restoration.

Don


------------------
78 Westy 2.0l
71 Bradley GT 1641cc(soon to be twin turbo 2.6)

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do".
Walter Bagehot
Last edited by dstar5000 on Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
[email protected]
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2002 12:01 am

weird body alignment question

Post by [email protected] »

My GTII is dead center on. The only thing that bugs me is the front wheels seem to be set a little too far forward. Nope, it doesn't have castor shims pushing them out.

We become perfectionists, eh?
http://wind.winona.edu/~stafford/bradley
User avatar
dstar5000
Posts: 4555
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 12:01 am

weird body alignment question

Post by dstar5000 »

Yea, when I first sat the body on the fram, mine was too, so I pushed it as far froward as I coould to center the fronts. I figured that since the fronts turn and go *up and down*, it would be better to center them. That put the rear wheels about an inch forward of the arch.

Don


------------------
78 Westy 2.0l
71 Bradley GT 1641cc(soon to be twin turbo 2.6)

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do".
Walter Bagehot
Post Reply