Non-Polarization Effects

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
Air-Cooled Head
Posts: 1684
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 12:01 am

Non-Polarization Effects

Post by Air-Cooled Head »

I just rebuilt an engine. The generator had been sitting for years, and I didn't polorize it prior to install. Would this cause it not to charge?
I know my battery is at least a little weak, but strong enough to start the car once and run it for about 30 minutes. Next start, it barely cranks, so I suspect I was running on battery power alone, and the gen wasn't charging.
I did a search for this and didn't get the answer I was looking for, but at least I know how to test when I get home.
User avatar
Advokat
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2002 12:01 am

Non-Polarization Effects

Post by Advokat »

I have heard that what you described can leave one having to polarize.
Air-Cooled Head
Posts: 1684
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 12:01 am

Non-Polarization Effects

Post by Air-Cooled Head »

Just so everyone knows. If you don't polorize after gen has been sitting for years, it will not charge. Polorize, and you're good to go.
Nailbiter
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2002 1:01 am

Non-Polarization Effects

Post by Nailbiter »

ACH, I followed Rob'n'Dave's advice to solve a similar gen problem. This may be old news but if you haven't seen it, check here under electrical: http://www.geocities.com/aussiebug1970/index.html
Post Reply