gasket on crank

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
Marcas
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2001 12:01 am

gasket on crank

Post by Marcas »

When I took my 1978 1600cc type1 engine apart
there wasn't a gasket on the end of the crank where the dowels fit. I notice that the gasket kits include a metal gasket. Should I fit one?
danimal
Posts: 958
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 12:01 am

gasket on crank

Post by danimal »

i can't speak for overseas configurations, but most 1600's use the rubber o-ring inside the flywheel... those motors are not supposed to run the metal and paper crank butt-end gaskets that come in the rebuild kits.


dan
oceanstreetvideo.com
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

gasket on crank

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

you should have the oring flywheel, is there a step inside the flywheel, or a groove for an o ring?
Marcas
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2001 12:01 am

gasket on crank

Post by Marcas »

Thanks for your help. I know about the o ring in the flywheel but I wasn't sure about the gasket.
Even though I live in Belfast my car is a 1978 Convertible which started life in California!
Post Reply