i usually tune the 1200 installing 1600 barrels and engle cams.
I always obtain better performance than a stock 1600 plus a stock appearance.
why do not try it?
Peppe
1200 tuned
-
PEPPE
- Posts: 763
- Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2001 12:01 am
1200 tuned
sorry, it was a reply for Elrick and his 1641 post. Peppe
- Marc
- Moderator
- Posts: 23741
- Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 12:01 am
1200 tuned
What do you use for crank/rods/wristpins?
I once built a "1500 the hard way" using 83mm BB40 pistons and narrowed 40HP rods on a 69mm crank, with 1500 barrels and flycut 40HP heads, stretched 1200 intake manifold. As a mileage motor experiment it was a success but it was way more trouble than it was worth - a 1584 or 1641 with 1300 heads & intake gives much more power and almost as good of mileage and the only machining needed is to open up the heads.
I think good 1200 cases should be left stock and saved for restoration projects.
------------------
"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong." --H.L. Mencken
`67, 69, `77 Beetles, `73 II (Type I engine), `86 Audi 5000s, etc. etc.
Independent VW specialist shop manager/unit repairman 1978-1991
I once built a "1500 the hard way" using 83mm BB40 pistons and narrowed 40HP rods on a 69mm crank, with 1500 barrels and flycut 40HP heads, stretched 1200 intake manifold. As a mileage motor experiment it was a success but it was way more trouble than it was worth - a 1584 or 1641 with 1300 heads & intake gives much more power and almost as good of mileage and the only machining needed is to open up the heads.
I think good 1200 cases should be left stock and saved for restoration projects.
------------------
"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong." --H.L. Mencken
`67, 69, `77 Beetles, `73 II (Type I engine), `86 Audi 5000s, etc. etc.
Independent VW specialist shop manager/unit repairman 1978-1991
-
PEPPE
- Posts: 763
- Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2001 12:01 am
1200 tuned
I use a 22mm bushing in the stock 1200 rod. it is a smaller diameter than standard 1600.
(maybe ford or opel, i do not know, the machine shop do that for me)
then i use a standard 1600 piston, on a shortened barrel. I've built many of these. it run very well. I built a fixture to safely lathe the barrels down.
once i built also a 1650cc using a 90.5mm kit. another time i used a 69 crank, but had to narrow the rods in the side of crank.
plus i had to trim the skirt of pistons,(very time consuming so i decided to not do again it...)
stock 1600 pistons on 64mm crank need no trimming.
Here in italy we have many 1200 D engines.
60% of engines here are 1200cc. It was sold until 1986 here. There is scarcity of 1600 engines so i solved in this manner.
With engle cams i achieve a good top end, to about 5000rpm. My friend are very happy, because this engines leave in the back stock 1600 engines.
The limit of power is the heads and intake manifold. to give a good venturi area i use the 31 pict 3 or 30 pict 1 carbs instead of 30 pict 3.
Peppe
(maybe ford or opel, i do not know, the machine shop do that for me)
then i use a standard 1600 piston, on a shortened barrel. I've built many of these. it run very well. I built a fixture to safely lathe the barrels down.
once i built also a 1650cc using a 90.5mm kit. another time i used a 69 crank, but had to narrow the rods in the side of crank.
plus i had to trim the skirt of pistons,(very time consuming so i decided to not do again it...)
stock 1600 pistons on 64mm crank need no trimming.
Here in italy we have many 1200 D engines.
60% of engines here are 1200cc. It was sold until 1986 here. There is scarcity of 1600 engines so i solved in this manner.
With engle cams i achieve a good top end, to about 5000rpm. My friend are very happy, because this engines leave in the back stock 1600 engines.
The limit of power is the heads and intake manifold. to give a good venturi area i use the 31 pict 3 or 30 pict 1 carbs instead of 30 pict 3.
Peppe
- Marc
- Moderator
- Posts: 23741
- Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 12:01 am
1200 tuned
Sounds like a good solution if the rods are holding up to it - I'd like to see one of these 40HP rods with a 22mm wristpin in it.
Kind of a miniature stockvalve 1835 but with thick cylinders. It'd be a real screamer with dualport heads, some stouter connecting rods and a counterweighted 64mm crank. I've seen 90.5x64 race engines (ported bigvalve heads and 48IDA Webers) make over 100 HP at 7300 RPM.
Kind of a miniature stockvalve 1835 but with thick cylinders. It'd be a real screamer with dualport heads, some stouter connecting rods and a counterweighted 64mm crank. I've seen 90.5x64 race engines (ported bigvalve heads and 48IDA Webers) make over 100 HP at 7300 RPM.
-
PEPPE
- Posts: 763
- Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2001 12:01 am
1200 tuned
the rod appear to be so thin like a race motorcycle engine.
I usually select rods before sendi to have the wrist pin installed, i choose those have more metal and centered hole.
Until now i haven't had any problem.
probably because the engine do not reach high RPM
I use only stock external components to allow low cost and stock appearance.
Here in italy modifying engines is not allowed and people prefer to have power and stock appearance.
Peppe
I usually select rods before sendi to have the wrist pin installed, i choose those have more metal and centered hole.
Until now i haven't had any problem.
probably because the engine do not reach high RPM
I use only stock external components to allow low cost and stock appearance.
Here in italy modifying engines is not allowed and people prefer to have power and stock appearance.
Peppe