About ready to put my new motor in. I'm replacing the old generator w/ an alternator, and never done it before. I've never even had to tighten the old pulley that was on the generator.
How many are supposed to go on behind the pulley so it doesn't rub on the alternator.
Please help, I want to have my bus running by the end of the weekend. She's been off the road for 2 months and this is my last hurdle.
Thanx in advance.
------------------
<I>Bryan...St.Petersburg, FL
'62 11W Kombi ;^) "Monie"
'72 Beetle "Punchy"</I>
help w/ alternator pulley shims
- JordanK
- Posts: 766
- Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2000 12:01 am
help w/ alternator pulley shims
None. They go between the two halves of the pulley, that's how you adjust your belt tension. Put them all in to make the belt looser, take a few out to tighten it up, like that. Store the extra ones between the pulley nut and the rear pulley half. It's been a while, but there *may* be a spacer that goes on the shaft before the front pulley half. I really don't remember for sure, sorry. Just put the front half on with out the woodruf key and spin it over by hand, see if it rubs. If so, you need a spacer. If not, then I was wrong and there is no spacer, just install the pulley and key and off you go. At any rate, the thin shims do not go behind the pulley. Good Luck
------------------
Jordan
1963 Beetle, 5 spokes, 1776, dropped spindles, etc...
1973 Standard Beetle, stock.
1968 Fastback, stock for now
------------------
Jordan
1963 Beetle, 5 spokes, 1776, dropped spindles, etc...
1973 Standard Beetle, stock.
1968 Fastback, stock for now
- Marc
- Moderator
- Posts: 23741
- Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 12:01 am
help w/ alternator pulley shims
It's a good idea to have a total of ~8 shims; with fewer it's possible for the nut to run out of threads before the pulley halves are clamped tightly together, and they'll self-destruct if they aren't.
-
62T2Doood
- Posts: 178
- Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2001 1:01 am
help w/ alternator pulley shims
thanks guys. It looks like I need to just get a different pulley. After closer examination, theres a problem w/ this ones woodruf key slot.
------------------
<I>Bryan...St.Petersburg, FL
'62 11W Kombi ;^) "Monie"
'72 Beetle "Punchy"</I>
------------------
<I>Bryan...St.Petersburg, FL
'62 11W Kombi ;^) "Monie"
'72 Beetle "Punchy"</I>
- 71Vdubber
- Posts: 311
- Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2001 12:01 am
help w/ alternator pulley shims
My fan has two shims behind it when I changed over to an alt. I just put them back in again.
-
62T2Doood
- Posts: 178
- Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2001 1:01 am
help w/ alternator pulley shims
From what I've learned since posting this, there shouldn't be any shims behind the pulley. If there are you they will rub on the gen/alt.
The reson my pulley wasn't fitting right was because the pulley I had wasn't seating on the woodruf key correctly. I got a new pulley and wa-la, perfect working order.
If yours needs those 2 shims to spin freely, you may want to check your pulley to make sure it's on there correctly.
------------------
<I>Bryan...St.Petersburg, FL
'62 11W Kombi ;^) "Monie"
'72 Beetle "Punchy"</I>
The reson my pulley wasn't fitting right was because the pulley I had wasn't seating on the woodruf key correctly. I got a new pulley and wa-la, perfect working order.
If yours needs those 2 shims to spin freely, you may want to check your pulley to make sure it's on there correctly.
------------------
<I>Bryan...St.Petersburg, FL
'62 11W Kombi ;^) "Monie"
'72 Beetle "Punchy"</I>