Questions prior to the rebuild

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
User avatar
the_porch_honkey
Posts: 357
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:01 am

Questions prior to the rebuild

Post by the_porch_honkey »

Question 1 = anybody out here in San Bernadino area recomend a machine shop with a good track record? Question 2 = what causes pitting/corrosion on a as-41 case....weather,heat, ??.
I picked up a used short block, couldn't feel any noticable endplay and the case dosen't show any cracks yet(still haven't split the case yet).Got it at the Ecology yard in Rialto on "half off" day for $43 so it wont be a big loss of cash if it turns out to be crap!! It is an AB case but I was curious, why the heck did it have a cross member bolted to it? What vw's used a type 1 case with a crossmember? Thats is for now, it's 2:40 am and I'm goin to bed! Thanks .
metropoj
Posts: 997
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:01 am

Post by metropoj »

Perhaps placed in an early bus ?
PitterPats73
Posts: 430
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:01 am

Post by PitterPats73 »

I think some ofthe pitting is caused by corrosion.
OLDVWGLENN

Case ID with Mount -->

Post by OLDVWGLENN »

Case with mount is 68-71 VW Bus or 68 & later T-3, if it has a Dip Stick she's a Bus Case, RE: Machine work close to you, Car Craft :) in Riverside or down the 55 to RIMCO, Hard to beat them ! Cheers....
Post Reply