Sooby <> Gauge adapters

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
Busahaulic
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:30 pm

Sooby <> Gauge adapters

Post by Busahaulic »

:?: Can anybody tell me how to go about adapting gauge senders to a 2.2 Sooby? AFAIK the O.P. sender looks like 1/8" British pipe thread adapted (stock) to something like 20mm X 1.5 straight thread and the water temp appears to be British 1/8" pipe thread. How are people accomplishing gauge installations? Am I correct in the threads / sizes? Any sources?TIA
Busahaulic
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:30 pm

More Gauge issues

Post by Busahaulic »

Okay - the oil pressure sender can be adapted with a 1/8"NPT to 1/8"BSPT adapter. The water temp sender needs more clearance around it for the tip to protrude. The attachment point on the Subaru is not reinforced very far out, so reaming to a bigger size and threading NPT is not feasible IMHO. I had thought I should have the sender "in the block" (old U.S. terminology) in case a hose blows, there would still be an accurate reading at the gauge. Reality, however, is that the stock Subaru location for the sender is near the outlet to the upper radiator hose on the crossover tube. That means that if a hose blew, the water level would almost instantly be below the sender anyway! Soooo.... I'm thinking I'll attach a hose elbow at the upper discharge tube, run large copper straight down and another hose elbow to the large copper that goes to the front radiator. I can install the sender in the vertical section of copper pipe. Any thoughts / comments???
Guest

Post by Guest »

for the temp gauge i bought a pack of adapters at autozone.
Post Reply