blasting and surface rust/paint removal

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
ryan68bug

blasting and surface rust/paint removal

Post by ryan68bug »

Anyone here have any estimates on what it costs to get a Bug shell walnut or plastic media blasted? Second question: approximate cost to blast and powder coat a floor pan? Thanks.
Guest

Post by Guest »

Ryan,
It depends alot on where you live. I had my car media blasted along with the pan inside and out. It was $500 with primer which is a little expensive. I have had two quotes to powdercoat the pan. .....$250 and $500. Both from reputable shops. Hope that helps.
User avatar
JawKnee
Posts: 696
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:01 am

Post by JawKnee »

$500 expensive!? with primer!? Dude, $800 for the whole car inside and out WITHOUT primer is a pretty decent rate! You got a scccreaming deal I thing!
Guest

Post by Guest »

I have I place that charges around $300 for blasting and there is a paint booth rental down the street, so another $75 for primer. The place I took it to was just closer to where my car is stored. The price depends on the condition of the car too ie. more paint,, rust more money.
User avatar
deac
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:01 am

Post by deac »

500 dollars for blasting and primer is an awesome deal. That would have saved me soooo much time if I could've found that around my town. If you decided to do it yourself, be very careful. The sand abrasion will cause a lot of heat on the surface of the car and may warp the metal. Plus it's murder on your compressor and you'll get sand everywhere. Just my opinion.

deac
Air-Cooled Head
Posts: 1684
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Air-Cooled Head »

webs1302s wrote:You can do it yourself for A LOT less. You can buy a sand blaster @ Harbor Freight for less than 100 bucks that will work with a low end compressor.
Beg to differ. Read the comments of Major Woody, here;

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forums/paint ... g&mid=2722
55rag
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue May 28, 2002 12:01 am

Post by 55rag »

If budget is your main concern I would use a combination of chemical/sandblasting. I have done this in the past with good results. It wasn't that much cheaper than paying to have the car stripped. I bought a couple gallons of automotive paint stripper plus scrappers, wire brushes, had my buddie help. That took a few weekends, then sandblasted all the detailed areas. It probably cost around $300 -$350. Just be very careful and clean the car very good and primer ASAP.

P.S. I will NEVER do this again. It took some very hard work and the results aren't as good as having it professionally done.
Guest

Post by Guest »

I blasted a 62 with the 40lb hopper from Harbor Freight. The blaster itself works ok, and if you have the time and place to do it then I recommend it. The only thing I didn't like about the blaster from Harbor Freight was that the only media that works is the fine silica sand which is deadly and makes one hell of a mess. If you are restoring a car buy a nice blaster where you can just pour the media into it instead of using a funnel. There is so much that sand blaster can be used for I think it's a great investment. If your like me and still plan to restore a few more cars then its a no brainer.

Just think of all the parts that need cleaning....pans, body, tins, rims, brake drums, front beam, seat frames, etc...

On another note, powder coating is good for durability and finish, but I'd recommend POR-15 chassis coat. You can apply it yourself, you pans will never rust again, and the stuff will never come off.
User avatar
Phil Smith
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:01 am

Post by Phil Smith »

For some reason it wouldn't let me log in, but the above post is mine
Guest

Post by Guest »

I had my whole car and most all parts sandblasted for less than $200 locally. Might have been even cheaper if I'd taken everything at one time. The place that did it is the place that does cemetery headstones, oddly enough. I asked the guy to be careful about heat and warpage and he told me not to worry. I did worry but it was for nothing because everything came back completely clean and not warped. It was a pain to get all of the sand out of everything, though.

I think the warpage thing is overblown if you go to a reputable and experienced place. And $500 sounds like a lot (maybe not, if includes primer).
john @ no dollars racing
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:01 am

Post by john @ no dollars racing »

blaster 129.00,sand 30.00,killing your compressor and dieing of silicosis priceless...:shock:.....have it professionally done its not worth the risk...just the opinion of a professional auto restorer w 15yrs exp. bee cool john...
Guest

Post by Guest »

The bodywork guys had to start somewhere. Might as well learn the skill and be more self sufficent.
Post Reply