Page 1 of 1

CAN I STOP RUST W/O REMOVING WINDOW SEALS????

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:37 pm
by jloh
Is there something out there I can spray up underneath the windows seals in my 73 bus that can stop the rust? I want to replace the seals (10 year old WCM seals, so they arent too nasty) but thats later down the road when I get THE PAINTJOB! Is there anything I can do?

I'm going to start working on the small/accesible areas around the enigne compartment and rear door soon. I plan to use wire brushes, sanding dics, and brush attachments for my drill, then hit it with primer. Got a job to do with the Roof and front nose for sure! Any primer recomendations?

**THIS IS ALL FOR THE SHORT TERM UNTIL I CAN SEND IT TO A PRO**

I'm also working on an online journal/website with before/progress/end results. i'll link to my website soon for pics.

**I REALLY NEED SOME SHADE TREE ADVISE!**

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:23 pm
by Kubel Nick
The best thing to do is to remove the seals, but if you want a tept job until you remove the seals in a near future time probably a little oil should work fine. You can use spray primer, but that doesn't look too clean. WD40 was made for NASA to prevent rust, not for lubrication. The inside of your chassis tunnel is pretty rust free because it's full of grease (I cut mine open).

Some bare-metal hotrods use oil on their bodies as well to help prevent rusting. But by no means oil is better then a good primer....

But really, if the seals are good you can reuse them when you remove them. I'd recommend just taking the seals out completely so you know what's under there.

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:29 pm
by jloh
uuhhhmmmm. i am content on having the bus look a little polka-dotted for a few months. maybe i'll spray primer on the easy to reach ares and maybe lift up the seals a little and WD40 up under there with the spray tube. i want to stiop as much of the rust as possible

john

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:20 am
by Deaffy
When you're at the point where you've had the resto work done, you might want to look into windshield seals that have a longer lip designed to hide patch work. I think Bus Depot sells them.

Doesn't help with what you're trying to do now, but thought I'd pass on the info.

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:43 am
by jloh
good idea :D ...thanks! hopefully if it's done right i wont need'em!