Page 1 of 3

Carbon Fiber DTM & Hybrid fan!

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:37 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
I need to know who is interested???? I can have a miold made and would be able to supply:

Original carbon fiber(Grey and black weave)
Red
Blue
Yellow
green
orange
and even an aluminized fiberglass weave.

These colors all look awesome and the aluminized fiberglass looks totally silver woven....amazing!

As for price, well I have no clue as of yet. I do know one thing.....A DTM made out of carbon will show all of the shrouds twists and turns and will look better than any 911 fan on this earth and WORKS on top of that!

I have my65notch's Hybrid fan(for cooling system tests) here that he got from Joe a couple of years back. I have decided that if the hybrid fan really does that good on the dyno that I will be offering one also. Originally Joe had a TI fan and a TIV fan sandwiched together to make the Hybrid fan.

I plan on having the back of the fan(the part Joe originally made from a TI fan) made from an injection molded carbon fiber. This will be much stronger and thicker than the stock set up, and will be alot lighter than aluminum also. The "Venturi" of the hybrid fan was originally made from hand laid fiberglass that Joe did. I also plan on having this ring made out of Carbon Fiber for better strength.

I also have amold for a TI DTM and the hybrid fan will also work in that application.....

To test the new Hybrid fans I will take an old engine, set it up with a DTM that got nearly destroyed from a previous fan explosion and set the RPM to 8,000 (or as high as it will rev) on the dyno to see if the fan will explode.....I highly doubt that will happen, but we'll see.

As you can see, theres alot going on here in MassIVe land!

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:51 pm
by farmer
Hi Jake.
Thats going to be real interesting to see those numbewrs on the hybrid. I worked a little in that direction some years back when Joe still was going strong, but could´nt make it work. At lest not better than a T1 fan in the DTM The hybrid made a lot of noise, More than the 11 blade Porsche fan, when ran with a 1,65 ratio.
It was also tried in a slightly modified T1 doghouse owned by a friend of mine. That did´nt work at all. i think the T1 fan housing simply is too restrictive, because if we opened the fresh air outlets, the pressure actually got higher inside the fanhouse !.

Ever so often when the issue surfaces, I have been wondering what would happen if the hybrid fan in a DTM was slowed down to say 1,3 or even 1-1 ??? After all that is where it was supposed to peak anyway.

Another thing. you mentioned in another post that you tried the 5 blade Porsche fan at 1,3 ratio. wouldnt that be too slow for the fan to really work its potential ? - I am pretty sure that it was ratioed 1,6 or 1,7 - 1 on the Porsche back in the days.

Torben

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:57 pm
by Plastermaster
I just got back from a VW show and did see a Carbon fiber 911 style. I would love to have the DTM in CF, but I need the engine first! LOL I would be interested in the price when you get that far.

Ron

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:58 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
The 5 blade was spun at 1.16 as far as I know.....it used the karger upper pulley of 3.650

As for the DTM and a hybrid fan, thats why I'm testing it against the TI fans of 3 different widths at the same RPMs.

I will also be using a slower drive ratio to see if that makes any differences. If it does not make much of a difference, then I know that the issue of cooling has nothing to do with pressure or volume and more to do with shroud design.

Thats the whole reason I'm doing all this, stop the wondering and provide

FACTS

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:02 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
The DTM in the Aluminized fiberglass will look absolutely amazing! I have a valve cover made from it, and all I can say is WOW!

Carbon Joe ( www.carbonjoe.net )is the man contracted to do the Carbon Fiber DTMS and hybrid fans for me....This guy has the best stuff I have ever seen, and you can even get the matching Valve covers and air filter tops from me to go with it. Heck even the backing plate for the Alternator is available in carbon!

All the carbon shrouds will be custom per order except the normal carbon fibers, which I plan to keep on the shelf.

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:24 pm
by Plastermaster
Any plans for CF sealing tin?

Ron

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:30 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Yes, not a problem at all, thats easy......we can offer it for all the shrouds no matter what the shroud is made of.

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:49 pm
by raygreenwood
Jake....a little off track betting says you will probably find that pressure has nothing to do with the cooling...but volume (of at least a minimum)...coupled with correct directional flow/entry will be the culprit. I would bet that at a particular rpm...ANY fan will be its worst enemy....as turbulence created by air trying to enter the fan almost as fast as it exits the fan...and/or overpressure within the shroud created by a fan trying to cram air in faster than it can align and exit the shroud....will be problems. Be nice to have a variable efficiency fan...or at least an automatic shroud vent or entry restrictor that came on at specific head pressure or rpm. Ray

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:13 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Not being an engineer, its hard to see the differences on paper....Ray, think you might be interested in looking over my raw datd from all tests and helping me make a summary

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:28 pm
by Crimson_Axe
Hmmm... sounds good to me wanna swap :) - I know the case had been machined for the 911 fan but... If it will close with my decklid and it seems as though the dtm/ your new shroud will cool as well as the 911 then... I have a new 75alt on a self waiting for it if you think it would be a good Idea.

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:35 pm
by raygreenwood
I'm not really an engineer either...but I have done a a bit of this in other applications. I would love to. I'll drop you an e-mail with my #'s. Ray

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:56 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Cool, send it to Kathy and she'll forward it to me and my personal email..

Re: Carbon Fiber DTM & Hybrid fan!

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:08 pm
by Class 11 streeter
MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:I also have amold for a TI DTM and the hybrid fan will also work in that application.....
This may be a little off topic, and stupidly obvious, but some time ago I asked Type 5 Joe if the T1 DTM could work for the oxyboxer, and he said it should work well. At the time however Vince was busy running OPP into the ground so it didn't look like any DTM would ever see the light of day again.....

There may be an additional market for the Type 1 DTM, the Oxyboxer crowd!

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:26 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Yes, it should be a direct bolt on......if it isn't we could pull another plug and make another mold to incorporate changes for the T5 guys...

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:57 pm
by alsehendo
Jake-do you ever plan on having inventory for your DTM ready to ship on demand.

I personaly like to order from general retailers like aircooled, is this still in your plans? I just don't like giving any direct vendor money for some thing like this that is not already produced. Get John some and I'll purchase one for my Ghia. What if you were to get sick or something and they were half done.