Page 1 of 1

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:22 pm
by Mattt
You can accomplish this same goal for under $100 by putting your Thing arms/spindle back on and buying the caliper brackets from Things Unlimited for $85. Going to the Ghia spindles/arms lowers the Thing, and makes for a front end that is not as stout as the Thing front end.

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:30 am
by Mattt
If you took the Thing spindles off, then you would've had to take the Thing arms off as well. Thats because the Thing spindle/arm ball joint arrangement is different from a Bug/Ghia spindle/arm ball joint arrangement.

Thing ball joints both face down with the nuts on the bottom, they enter the spindle from the top. Bug/Ghia ball joints have the bottom ball joint facing up, and the top ball joint facing down. So, first you need to get your Thing arms & spindles back on there.

The bracket from Mike B is to mount the caliper. It has nothing to do with the hub where the wheel mounts. The 4 lug hub/disc will mount right onto the Thing spindle, and your wheel will mount to the hub/disc. The bracket you need is to mount the caliper to the Thing spindle. Get his brackets, and you can attach a Ghia caliper to a Thing spindle. Then you have 4 lug Ghia disc brakes mounted to a Thing front end.

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:39 am
by Bob Ingman
Rich, Yes the coilovers will give you your goal of 1 1/2"-2" however
the advise Matt gives is what i would do as well. Both the cheap coil-overs and the Ghia spindles are a downgrade to the thing.
You can use an adaptor to retain your four hole wheels so long as they are 15". Good luck. Bob Ingman

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:50 pm
by Mattt
Bob wrote: "You can use an adaptor to retain your four hole wheels so long as they are 15"


Why would he need to use an adaptor? If he already has 4 lug rims on his car with Ghia disc brakes, they will bolt right up to the disc,,,,no?

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:16 pm
by Bob Ingman
Scavengers are preying off you. Looking out for their own needs before their customers. You do`nt need that shop.
Matt you`re right. Was`nt thinking. I meant retain the 5 hole. Good luck. Bob Ingman

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:20 pm
by Advokat
I have Mike's disc brake kit on my '74 and switched to a 4 x 130 pattern 15" wheel with no problem. I did not need to use spacers or wheel adaptors for the front. I did, however, use adaptors on the rear so that I could keep my stock rear drums and still use matching 4 lug rims on the back as well. Really easy install.

Good luck,
Rick

coil overs a downgrade?

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:35 pm
by bruce r lafferty
I, too, would like to raise my Thing's ground clearance between 1"-2" I'm not doing a body lift, and so coil over shocks seemed the easiest way to get some more ground clearance. Why is the coilover a 'downgrade' as Bob Ingram states? Does anyone make a quality coil over shock so I don't have to sacrifice quality? And if I get the entire disc brake kit from Things Unlimited I won't lose any lift will I? I want more, not less. Thanks, Bruce

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:02 pm
by Bob Ingman
Bruce ,yes there are many quality coil-overs available. Most are in the $400 ea range. Good race quality but probably more than most of us want to pay for our daily drivers. The common coil-over are about $50 pr. Will give about an inch and a half for awhile but then sag to near stock height again. They are considered a down grade because they give little dampening but a rather bouncy ride. Good luck. Bob Ingman

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:48 pm
by Bob Ingman
nthang wrote"Bob I know all about the suspension and the options". Well Richard thats more than I can say personally. When I need to become suspension savy I ask around on the Off-Road forum. Suspension is the name of the game over there. Good luck. Bob Ingman

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:59 pm
by Guest
Cambering up the rear suspention will give you a rougher ride on the pavement BUT, in off road situations the bigger the bumps the smoother the ride! The same is true with a cut and turned front beam. The stiff ride on road is a very small price to pay for the great ride off road.

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:02 pm
by Chris181Westy
opps, forgot to log- in I am the guest in the above post.

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:16 am
by fetasigma
how long does it take for thoose coil overs to sag? i had to put them on to gain lift when my new 16 inch rims started rubbing my fenders...just to ask.

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:40 am
by Bob Ingman
If you run them on the blacktop they are good for a long time. If you are off-road it wo`nt be long. Good luck. Bob Ingman

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:46 pm
by fetasigma
good, because my thing is mostly a street driven car....i only go offroad to avoid wrecks or to drive onto the beach to park.....thanks bob