Should I buy the 914 trans to swap into my Ghia?

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
User avatar
DORIGTT
Posts: 617
Joined: Thu May 18, 2000 12:01 am

Should I buy the 914 trans to swap into my Ghia?

Post by DORIGTT »

I have a guy near me who has a couple 914 trannys that he'd sell me for $100!
My question is how much more difficult will it be to swap one of these in my Ghia?
User avatar
Dave_Darling
Posts: 2534
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2000 12:01 am

Should I buy the 914 trans to swap into my Ghia?

Post by Dave_Darling »

Check the earlier note about trannies. It gives the URL for an article that describes putting a 901 into a Ghia. The 914 tranny is pretty much the same, except the shift linkage goes in at a different place.

Oh, and you'll have five speeds in reverse and only one forward gear. And it's quite a bit of money to have someone flip the ring and pinion.

I suggest starting with a 901 tranny, not a 914 one.

--DD
Post Reply