Page 1 of 1

Wanting to buy these heads, will the fin cause a prob?MARC?

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:32 am
by 67 newbie
I am wanting to buy these items listed on
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... 1103583322

One head has part of the fin broke off. If you look at the middle pic you can see it. If you ran this on the 1+2 side would it be ok? Or is it scrap? I want to build a 1914 so this is a concern for heat reasons.

Any input would be appreciated.

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:02 am
by deac
I'm the one trying to sell the heads. From who I've talked to, the cooling shouldn't be affected too much as long as the weld is good with no gaps. Some people even machine off the first fin when flycutting heads, but usually for race engines though. However, you hear different stuff from everyone.

Thanks, Matt Deacon

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:28 am
by deac

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:36 am
by Marc
I've run worse, but on a 1915 I share your concern. Certainly it'll be better on the RH side if you run it as-is, but I'd see about having it welded - must be somewhere around that could do it for you for $30 or less, should be worth that to you for peace of mind.

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:45 am
by Guest
Thanks MARC and DEAC I know someone that can tig it back on. I just did not know if that was an option or not. This is my first VW engine.

Thanks! :D