Got a couple questions...
(and I appologize because I know you've all
answered them 100s of times before)
1) where do I find a decent rebuild kit for
an engine that started out as a 1700?
2) Does the fact that it was a 1700 limit
how big I can make it? or the amout of
Hp I can get?
3) Can some body describe in general what
goes into fitting one of these to a Super
beetle? ( aside from the upright cooling tin)
thanks a lot guys
T-4 info for a beginner
- tuna
- Posts: 2531
- Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2000 12:01 am
T-4 info for a beginner
Paxton, check out my web site to learn more about the Type 4 engine. I'd suggest reading the technical articles and you'll get an understanding of what's involved in tuning a Type 4 and modifying it for an upright conversion.
http://www.tunacan.net/t4/
http://www.tunacan.net/t4/
-
bren
- Posts: 858
- Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2000 12:01 am
T-4 info for a beginner
you dont have to use a porsche upright fan conversion though... you can modify a T1 doghouse setup to fit a T4 engine.. not as efficient as the porsche fan, but worth considering as an alternative.. food for thought anyway!
goto: http://home.att.net/~NEXTGEN/ for more info...
goto: http://home.att.net/~NEXTGEN/ for more info...
- danielzink
- Posts: 612
- Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2000 12:01 am
T-4 info for a beginner
to be concise with at least a couple of answers.
#1) try Fat performance, Pelican Parts and/or Eurorace to start.
#2) all type4 cases are essentially the same. 1.7 thru 2.0 - the cases are the same - of course internals are different to make up the displacement differences. To go much larger than 2.0 litres - 96mm slip ins and a 78 stroke crank are as large as you can go without machine work ( my current combination 2270cc's .
I believe that you can go a high as 105mm p's and c's and up to 82 stroke but you get into case clearancing/cam clearancing and 5th or 6th stud conversions.
#3) doing research on that one myself
I'm wating for the 2110 in my 65 bug to give up the ghost and then I'm gonna build a motha of a type4 motor for it. 103 ( or 105 -- who knows ) by 78 stroke ( maybe more ? ) along woth the CB performance FI and the MSD....whooowhee...
Dan
------------------
[email protected]
http://users.aol.com/my65notch/index.htm
#1) try Fat performance, Pelican Parts and/or Eurorace to start.
#2) all type4 cases are essentially the same. 1.7 thru 2.0 - the cases are the same - of course internals are different to make up the displacement differences. To go much larger than 2.0 litres - 96mm slip ins and a 78 stroke crank are as large as you can go without machine work ( my current combination 2270cc's .
I believe that you can go a high as 105mm p's and c's and up to 82 stroke but you get into case clearancing/cam clearancing and 5th or 6th stud conversions.
#3) doing research on that one myself

I'm wating for the 2110 in my 65 bug to give up the ghost and then I'm gonna build a motha of a type4 motor for it. 103 ( or 105 -- who knows ) by 78 stroke ( maybe more ? ) along woth the CB performance FI and the MSD....whooowhee...
Dan
------------------
[email protected]
http://users.aol.com/my65notch/index.htm