Page 1 of 1

Fibreglass, best primer and paint to use on an engine shroud

Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:13 am
by Ephry73
I have been pondering on the though of painting the cylinder covers on my type 4 engine conversion. These are made of fibreglass, and supposedly of high temp resin. Is there a primer and paint comination I should be looking for, or can I just use regular self ecthing primer and Crylon paint?







E

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:07 pm
by Rescue912
I've used rattle cans on tin before. If you are worried about the heat then wetsand with 600 grit or use a chemical degloss like Paso if you are worried about cutting too much off by sanding and shoot a high temp coating on.

You going for a matching body color or just want something other than what came out of the mold?

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:00 am
by Ephry73
Thanks for replying Rescue. It still has the white top coat on it, and no coloring. I wanted to paint it semi-gloss black.



E

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:07 am
by Rescue912
John Deere makes a bulletproof coating for high temp and high abrasion resistance but it is more of a flat or maybe a low, low semi gloss.

I shot some valve covers with it and after curing for a few days the bails didn't even mark it up sliding on and off. Fairly inexpensive too.

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:09 am
by Ephry73
That sounds like what I'm after. I wouldn't mind doing the engine bay in my Ghia with that also.


Thanks,


Ephry