When nothing big turns into holy sh*t...

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
SoFla70
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:12 pm

When nothing big turns into holy sh*t...

Post by SoFla70 »

well im having problems with my 70's shifter and decided i would tighten the clutch cable for a possible fix.. i get under the car and notice a fair bit of rust. i knew i had rust on the lip of the trunk and some surface rust on the inside of the fenders.. but not as bad as i saw on the underside of the floor pan.. where the fender meets the center piece its all eaten out i can almost stick my finger through.. passenger side floor pan has a few pencil diameter holes... just sucks i didnt think i needed more than a good sanding and some spot welding here and there.. come to find that it looks like i need to redo the whole underside and possibly the fenders..

my axles look like poop also broken, beat, and bruised. :roll:

im a noob, so i may be overwhelmed. but how do you know when you should be replacing body parts?
crvc
Posts: 1564
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:37 pm

Post by crvc »

I'm not one of the experts that offer advice on this web but I'm owned several beetles over the past THIRTY YEARS. Hard to believe I've been driving that long.

I'm doing a total restoration of a '67 Beetle. I'm finally at a point in my life where I've got the money for a project like this. Also I've got a truck for daily driving so I can work on the VW as time allows. I don't expect to be done til a year, possible two have passed.

My point is if you can afford to strip the beetle down and start from the ground up, you'll eventually have a car that will last another thirty years. IF you need this as a daily driver now, the best you can do is patch the problems. Regardless of how bad the metal is, a good welder can work magic. But you'll pay for that expertise unless you can weld.

I haven't used it but the POR products can be used to fill rusty holes in the pan. Rusty fenders can be patched or welded also but sometimes it's cheaper to buy new South American fenders.

What I've seen on this web is that anything on a VW can be fixed. It's all a matter of time and money; you need both to do the job right.

Good Luck.
SoFla70
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:12 pm

Post by SoFla70 »

:(

this whole ordeal has me bummed...

i have the money for the project but i would like to do alot of it myself.. i dont have the space, nor the time as i work a pretty crazy schedule.. sadly tho i cant send her in for repairs for a bit (main mode of transportation)...

but im guessing ill patch her up as best as possible and keep on trucking... maybe get another side project... or turn this into a street legal off road i dunno..

thanks!
Post Reply