Bright metal inserts in window rubbers

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
russell
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:33 am

Bright metal inserts in window rubbers

Post by russell »

How in the heck do you put the metal inserts into window rubbers. I have tried for a couple of hours today and failed - apart from a 8 inch strip top and bottom on one of the rear quarters - and have front and back windows and the other side to tackle yet. I am using C profile metal inserts. The parts shop have a tool in their catalogue for around £20 - looks like a wooden file handle with an assortment of bent wire fittings - anyone know if it makes it a lot easier (it would be worth the money if it works well)? Are there any alternative tricks I am missing?
User avatar
Bobnotch
Posts: 1157
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:01 am

Post by Bobnotch »

I hope the windows are still out or you'll NEVER get the trim back in. The trick is to either (1) install the trim in the rubber, then install the glass in the rubber,and install the complete unit into the car. Or (2) install the glass in the rubber then carefully work the trim into the rubberand install the complete unit into the car. Most use method #1. I hope this helps.
Air-Cooled Head
Posts: 1684
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Air-Cooled Head »

When I did this, it took 2 hours to do the first one. With practice, I can now install the trim in about an hour 15-20 minutes.

How did they do this at the factory? I can't believe it was done by hand, but can't imagine how it was done otherwise.

Anybody got any ideas on that?
Post Reply