Page 1 of 2

msd, mallory,compufire

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:17 am
by tc
ever do any dyno testing to find out which one works the best? what is your preference? anyone?
thanks

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:09 pm
by Guest
i use msd works great

Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:13 pm
by tc
wow i thought there would be several responses to this. maybe they are all the same??????????????????????????????????

Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:31 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Mallory 100% NOTHING has ever performed like one on my dyno and in my cars..

MSD is fine for drag racers, it lacks the adjustability of the Mallory.

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:42 am
by raygreenwood
Are we talking distributors here...or coil/switching systems? Ray

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:41 am
by Mr. Electric Wizard
I've heard that the crane optical pickup works the best...
But I've used compufire in my Type I and seems to work well but I haven't done any dyno testing...

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:25 am
by samcat
I run a Mallory dizzy (dual advance) and an MSD 6AL box with MSD blaster 2 coil connected to it. Work GREAT!

Cya,
Sam C

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:34 am
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
The problem with Crane is that it uses the stock VW dizzy, the curve is hard to adjust and so is initial timing. Initial means everything!

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:27 am
by factman
i have the mallory unilite and its phenominal. i have the old jacobs bugpack on my bug and that thing is awsome. on my notch i had an msd 6al before it decided to stop working. i guess i have a bad taste in my mouth now. im thinking of getting the mallory hyfire IV for the notch now. o doubt i will ever use the boost retard but the start retard function is nice and it has the digital display so no knobs to break or turn on their own free will. for the money the mallory is definately the best. it doesn't have the hottest spark but i think for a street motor, after a certain point you dont need anymore spark energy to fire the fuel. just my thoughts.

SAM

Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:31 am
by tc
thanks for the responses. mostly i was refering to the control boxes,but it is good to hear all the experiences :)

Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:43 am
by Hot Wheels
I run the MSD 6AL, blaster 2 and MSD distributor. I dont want vacume advance and dont spend much time on the street, so the msd and i get along well.

If you do use a do go to an MSD box, make sure to add a hotter coil, the stock one wont last long with the increased demand from the ignition box.

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:55 pm
by hotbug1776
Can I get a part number for the Mallory Dizz, I may use it when I put the engine in my car.

Oh, it's for a tIV

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:23 am
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
4554101

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:05 pm
by Tom in PA
Is it possible to retrofit an optical pickup setup into an older mallory or do you need a new dist. I have a few old mallories in the garage collecting dust. I strongly suspect the answer is no, but it never hurts to ask.

Thanks,

Tom

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:49 pm
by bpcatdog
I'd like to know too!

Louie