Page 1 of 1

Heater Channels -- Bought a Project Car -- flexing shell.

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:49 am
by MNAirHead
Howdy.

I picked up a car this week with the pans already replaced...

When I bough it both the channels cut off for replacement.

The prior owner only put minimal pillar bracing into it.

The doors do not shut without lifting into place.

Has anyone solved the flexing shell problem? Want to put the channels into it.

I have the BugMe Videos... they don't cover what to do after the mistake is made... I've always welded in a ton of bracing before unbolting.

How would you solve the poorly executed body issue?

T.

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:16 am
by vwgtiman
Is the body off the pan now? I removed all the mounting hardware on mine and then, since my channels were so bad, I opened my door just enough to put a jack under it at the back end. I jacked it up and tacked in braces. This seemed to work fine. I wont know fully until I tack in the new channels but again, If you start out with disaster, it can only get better right?????

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:22 am
by PJMS
There will be no problem here as you do not have to brace the door opening to replace the heater channels. You should remove the doors and install the channels so that there is 950 to 951mm gap in the door recess. You only need to measure towards the bottom of the recess (between the A & B pillars).

The only reason to brace the door openings is when the heater channels are so bady corroded, there is some danger that the bodyshell will 'fold' when it is removed from the chassis. After removal, it should be supported under the front fuel tank area and the rear luggage area and then remove the braces. Original genuine heater channels should always be used to insure the best results.

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:27 pm
by MNAirHead
Thanks...

The guy removed all the mounting bolts... cut out the heater channels... and then used a jack on the front end to move the body off the pan....

I'll try to measure the bottoms of the pan to see what dimension they are opned at.

T.