Page 1 of 1

Mallory Distributors-optical

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:56 pm
by Advokat
Jake:

Why do you prefer the fully centrifugal unit over the unit that also has a vacum advance? I hear the vacum advance unit allows the engine to run a little cooler at highway rpm's and that the gas mileage is a tad bit better.

thanks

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:14 am
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
I have never seen the huge advantages that the vac supoposedly creates over the centrifugal unit..

The Vac is MUCH harder to adjust, even for me... with a dyno

Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:59 pm
by farmer
Would´nt the effects of the vacum unit also only be beneficial on engines attached to trannys with high ratios ? Or/and perhaps on engines supplied with carbs juuuust a little too big for the application ?

I thought that that would be where there could be gained something. - I bought one for a 1904 T1 engine that only revs 2580 rpms @ 55 mph.
Ít is not dynoed yet, but will be when spring really comes over here. But I was hoping to get the heads to run a tad cooler at regular road driving. (swopping from an old german 009)
But we´ll see about that.
T.

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:32 pm
by Advokat
Okay:

Getting the Unilite-centrifugal advance unit-NO vacum.

How about some setting suggestions? It is a type 1 engine-1904 (74 x 90.5) w/40 x 35.5 valved ported and polished heads and a 1 5/8" merged header to Fat boy. Stock rockers, dual DRLA 40's and a Web 119 cam.

The guy that's selling it to me says it has a pink spring and a gray one in there already. What I'm looking to know is if I should keep this set up as to the springs (I keep hearing about using 2 gray springs) and what a good set up for the advance curves would be for this engine.

Thanks,
Rick

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:25 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Onk and Gray are the fastest available... Not good unless you have a wild cam.... try a grey/grey combo and 12 degrees initial advance

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:34 pm
by Plastermaster
Thats gotta be one of the funniest typos I've seen. :D And the O is right between the p and the I.

I guess I'm just easily entertained :)

Ron

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:04 am
by Guest
It's shorthand.

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:37 am
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
its "oink"..... pigs are pink..... You are suppose to be keen enough to pic up on my thoughts at this point....LOL

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:03 am
by RT
I'm running an SVDA from aircooled and it woke up my engine big-time! But I have to say that it's the mechanical component that can take most of the credit (excellent curve John!). I'm running a new stock carb for low-end torque and your running duals, plus a significant cam. It's unlikely they will produce a decent enough vacuum signal to have much of a benefit. The mechanical-only Unilite is the best choice.

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:40 pm
by Advokat
Thanks for the input. 12 degrees initial advance, what about max. advance?

Thanks,
Rick

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:45 am
by Advokat
Bump

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:18 am
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Thats 10% dependant upon the rest of your combo and even carburetion...... test it @ 28-34 degrees, but to do it right you'll need a CHT gauge, and a good ear for detonation....