engine install/clutch

VW's aircooled mini SUV. Great for riding in the country, or cruising the beach.
professa

engine install/clutch

Post by professa »

hey gang - I've installed my type IV engine, had a bit of issues but finally got everything lined up and was finally able to bolt up the engine to the tranny - placing it in 1st gear was the trick.

Problem is now I cannot get the clutch to engage properly. Clutch cable seems to be adjusted correctly but there's not really any tension on it. I'm thinking the clutch is not aligned with the pilot bearing - but is it even possible to install the engine in this situation? Everything is bolting up properly, mating with the tranny without gaps. what gives?

Input is appreciated.
Bob Ingman

Post by Bob Ingman »

We have scarce information to go on here. Best to know which flywheel and transaxle you are using. Is the T-1 bushing pressed into the T-4 flywheel? Did you change transaxles ? Get back with more to go on. Bob Ingman
professa

more info

Post by professa »

sorry - I was in a bit of a hurry when I posted that earlier. I'm talking about one of Jake Raby's 2270s with his "B" tranny. I do not know specifically which flywheel off the top of my head. [I know Jake hangs out here - I just didn't wanna keep bothering him with nonsense questions.]
Bob Ingman

Post by Bob Ingman »

You should be able to adjust the clutch to about 25mm freeplay at the pedal. That should do it for you. Bob Ingman
Last edited by Bob Ingman on Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
professa

something else?

Post by professa »

could it be something else? I adjusted the clutch really tight thinking that was the problem and i could hear slight scraping sounds but still could not engage the clutch - it would just grind. I still had very little resistance in the pedal. I'm hesitant to adjust the pedal. Thanks.
Bob Ingman

Post by Bob Ingman »

Professa what I am saying is that you adjust the clutch at the transaxle til you have an inch of free pedal at the drivers seat. Just push in the pedal until you feel the slack taken up at about one inch depth of travel. If that is not the fix the engine will need to come back to see what is wrong.. I`m sure Jake has given you compatable components so we`re not concerned there but will have to look into what you might have done during your instalation. Best of luck. Bob Ingman
professa

Exactly

Post by professa »

Exactly right - I KNOW it's not a component issue. The parts from Jake are perfect. Just an oddity on the install. I've just been plagued with issues all through this process - mostly stupidity on my part. ;-) Not to mention infrequent times to actually work on this thing.

As I was saying, the pedal doesn't really have any resistance at all - we're talking 5-10lbs of pressure to push the pedal to the floor - no typical free-play, nada.

Initially, I was having a problem getting the engine to mount to the tranny - leaving 1/4 inch or so gap. Jake told me to put it in first gear and that worked. I was able to bolt up just fine. So the clutch not engaging now mystifies me. I'm wondering if it is possible to bolt the engine up WITHOUT the clutch being aligned?? I just don't understand what else it could be.

Frustrated. I just wanna drive my thing. :-(

Bob - one question for you - are you running a remote oil cooler on your type IV? If so, where did you mount it?

cc
aka professa
Bob Ingman

Post by Bob Ingman »

Chris you need to ask Jake (or pull the engine to see) if the clips were removed from the pressure plate. A new PP will have clips on it that must be removed before installation or you will have exactly the symptoms you describe. Do you happen to know?
About the coolers. Here in Ak it is not needed. I have just bought a new engine that comes with the works including dual coolers. I will remove them before installing. Warmest temps here are low 70s a few days a year and no traffic or high speed driving. Stock cooling is plenty for me.
Get back when you find out about the clips.
We are not going to worry about the mismatch possabilities and the trans will not fit snugly to the engine unless the clutch is in alignment. Are you sure the clutch cable is on the hook at the pedal cluster? Best of luck. Bob Ingman
professa

clips

Post by professa »

clips? i didn't know anything about clips. I just double-checked jake's install manual and it does not mention anything about removing clips. I will email him to find out for sure.

I am sure the clutch cable is attached to the cluster - depressing the pedal pulls the arm forward as expected.
Bob Ingman

Post by Bob Ingman »

Chris the manual would probably not mention this because it would be normal procedure to remove the clips after installing PP to flywheel BUT sometimes it is forgotten. I once forgot to remove my alignment tool and spent an hour pushing an engine against the transaxle before pulling it away to discover what I had done. It happens. Let us know when you hear form Jake. You have PM. Bob Ingman
Michael Basso

CLUTCH RETURN SPRING

Post by Michael Basso »

IS THERE ONE?
professa

spring

Post by professa »

clutch return spring - yes it is there and it functions normally. But it's almost like the part that it is moving is pre-loaded -- no real force needed to move the arm.

lemme put it this way, it takes less force to move it than the clutch in my Toyota Celica, which I always considered to have a very squishy clutch.

This tranny is newly built by Jake and shipped directly to me. I have made zero modifications to it. Just bolted her straight up.

[I have yet to hear back from Jake, btw]
Bob Ingman

Post by Bob Ingman »

Chris I`m going to try to reach Marc V about this. He`s always able to shed light on these situations . Keep in tune. Bob Ingman
Bob Ingman

Post by Bob Ingman »

Chris I was able to reach Marc V about this. His deduction is that if everything appears to be functioning properly externally then it has to be something inside. Thus pulling the engine is going to be required to find the problem.
I`m thinking that you will have to get a good look at the throw out bearing to see if it has been damaged or misaligned.
Better just pull the engine back and have a look at everything. Let us know when you drop the engine. Best of luck. Bob Ingman
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Never noticed this post till now...

We talked on the phone the other day and I told him a few possibilities. ets see what happens when he works on it this weekend.