Page 1 of 2

WHat does a 2739 TIV drive like??? I'll tell ya.

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:29 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
WOW,

I guess you guys remember the 2739 that I did back in the early fall of last year.... This engine made 210HP and 210 lb/ft of torque on my dyno pulling the 911 fan with full Tangerine exhaust with quiet can. I pulled the fan belt and the engine made 239BHP !!

Today I got a call from the owner of the car who is from Vermont and down in a neighboring town to visit family. He towed the car down to do some work on it with his brother and wanted to drop by and see me since he just got the car roadworthy..

So, he unloads it off the trailer and we go for a ride.... I didn't know if he wanted me to drive or not and he said "sure" I replied "I promise not to be too hard on it, I'll short shift". He replies, Heck don't worry about it, drive as hard as you want.....

I took a deep breath and wondered if I really just heard him tell me that, so I asked him if he was sure and he said yes, he has been driving the hell out of it!!! I got in, and sat down wondering if he actually knew what he had gotten into, by telling me this......... If he knew what I knew, he would never say that! LOL

To make things better his car was full fiberglass fendered and had fiberglass hood as well,mbut it was a "heavy" 74 standard beetle.

So, we head down the driveway, I make a left and roll on the throttle.. at about 2K, smoke rolled off the tires in fist so I kept rolling on it till about 6K, and then shifted.... HOL COW, when I hit second it jumped twice and launched. when I say launched I mean as aggressivelay as my old 11.8:1 2332 Type I that had 227 ponies! I smoked the tires all the way through second gear and then snagged third, it continued to spin in 3rd and smoke was visible in the rear view! I shifted into 4th and the power was still there, by this time I was backing out of it because it wasn't my car and the speed limit on the backroad is only 45 MPH (LOL) He is running 205/60 Kumho AVS tiires all around and they are very sticky when warmed up, I could imagine a normal street tire with this car..

I took it for about a 15 mile trip and was amazed at how sommoth and tame it was until it hit the powerband, when it was absolutely amazing. The powerband felt exactly like what I wanted, just like a 911 on steroids!

It has been a while since I was able to feel one of our "Super Heros' installed, and thanks Rick for letting me beat on yours. The math that I did with your gear ratios definately paid off as the engine falls right into the band at every gear shift, but with 210 lb/ft of torque and a flat curve from 2500RPM, thats easy to feel in a shift!!


This is definately a 12 second beetle with TIV power that runs cooler than hell and is as smooth as silk, even with 310+ degrees of cam and 10.7:1

Absolutely astonishing. Can't wait to get my 3 liter done now!

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:51 am
by Kelley
Jake, have you built a combo like this with your DTM? It seems like its a engine especially suited to today's power/speed requirements(ha ha :twisted: ), but I can't help but wonder if the DTM might let it perform a little better than the 911 setup.

by the way, no video of this recent hoolaganism 8) ?

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:32 pm
by dstar5000
Heh, Heh, Heh! A DTM would allow him to *bump it up* to about 11.3:1 and keep the same temps!

That's at least an 11 HP increase!
:twisted:

Mine is set at 11.3 at the moment.
Test runs are:
"Soon, very soon!"
:P

BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Don

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:33 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
This engine was the last I built with a 911 shroud, it had been in the works for over a year when I got the the DTM biz...

I have several engines like this one in the works, and they all have DTMs now- I won't use anything else till I get my 911 shroud in production- That is if I can make a 911 work correctly on a TIV!

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:47 pm
by dstar5000
I don't think I'd let Jake drive one of *my* engines.....
:wink:

You still got that trans with 2nd sticking out of the side?
:twisted:

Don

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:43 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
yeppers......

what the hell good is the power and expensive parts if you don't give it all the hell you can!

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:58 am
by Guest
MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:yeppers......

what the hell good is the power and expensive parts if you don't give it all the hell you can!
Heh, Heh, Heh!
8)

Well, you know how SOME PEOPLE like to *look* at the power!
8)

...and *pose* beside it in magazines....
:roll:

I.E. they are POSERS!
:shock:

BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Don

Yeah baby!

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:30 pm
by Fimble
Yep, it's a ridiculously fast launch. Thanks, Jake!

But when I got it back home, the back end started hopping something awful. :( I don't know why... different climate, different asphalt, whatever, but down in GA I got no wheel hop at all, but here in VT, it bounces like a paint mixer. :?

So no lead foot for me until I get it under control. :cry:

Re: Yeah baby!

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:37 pm
by dstar5000
Fimble wrote:Yep, it's a ridiculously fast launch. Thanks, Jake!

But when I got it back home, the back end started hopping something awful. :( I don't know why... different climate, different asphalt, whatever, but down in GA I got no wheel hop at all, but here in VT, it bounces like a paint mixer. :?

So no lead foot for me until I get it under control. :cry:
Asphalt temp is prolly 75-100 hotter in GA than VT!
:shock:

Either way.... We are envious of you! Image

Don

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:48 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
fimble,
Maybe it was the driver???? LOL

Car is a riot for sure, what an animal.

Get that wheel hop fixed ASAP, it'll destroy the gearbox!

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:05 pm
by Fimble
Maybe it was the driver???? LOL
Hmph!

By the way, you were too dainty with the gas when you took me for a drive... I had that bugger fishtailing something awful after the shift into 2nd when my brother and I were "playing" with it down there. The torque it puts out is UNGODLY!

...

Wait a minute... I heard you layin' rubber in 3rd when you took Bret for a spin! Those were new tires dammit! :wink:

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:02 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Yep, it spun half way through third, but I was still taking it easy....LOL.

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:20 am
by dstar5000
Hmmmm............
Jake, wouldn't a lighter flywheel or taller tires remedy this tirespin situation?

Of course the top speed would go up to 150-170 MPH with taller tires!
:shock:

He'd have to *cruise* in third at 70......
;-)

Don

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:26 am
by Guest
Dare I ask what the fuel economy is,,,,,,, if any :lol:

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:28 am
by Kelley
sorry, that was me :oops: