Page 1 of 2

Air Cooled Classics fan shroud questions

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:59 am
by dstar5000
Hey Dave Avery!

IF you read this, can you tell me which cyl ran the highest temps
with that setup?

I am in the mock stage now and am curious.

Image
Image

Thanks!

Don

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:39 am
by Dave Avery
Hiya Don

I only checked #3 (didn't use it much, less than 50 miles) and the hottest it got was 425 at WOT for 15 seconds. Again, this is with a 2.5L with the 103mm pigs, and in a spyder, with that fantastic airflow ;)

Good luck,

DMA

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:47 am
by BigOlJohnson
Dave Avery wrote:Hiya Don

I only checked #3 (didn't use it much, less than 50 miles) and the hottest it got was 425 at WOT for 15 seconds. Again, this is with a 2.5L with the 103mm pigs, and in a spyder, with that fantastic airflow ;)

Good luck,

DMA
Just looking at the design, I think 1 and 4 will run coolest....
so I'm adding a couple small *wings* after engine break-in
and will monitor results with 4 head temp guages.

Heh, Heh, Heh! I don't think I'll have a prob with the 2316L.
Now if I buy that 86mm crank from Jake, it'll move UP to 2490L,
which will still be OK, with the smaller jugs.

I got a Bradley GT, that HAS lots of airflow over the back!
Got two 429 SCJ scoops off of two Torinos I will graft on.
:twisted:

I'm making 200 ponies or it gets NAAWS!
:shock:

1/8th mile at the time, I'm not worried about cooling, just keeping a tranny under it!
:wink:

Don

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:42 pm
by 67 newbie
Don... are you changing your name?

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:00 pm
by BigOlJohnson
67 newbie wrote:Don... are you changing your name?
"But not our stripes!"

OH! You are TOO YOUNG to remember that slogan!
:lol:
That was back in 1972......

DOES anyone here remember that one?
"We are changing our name, but not our stripes"

ONE Hint: Petrol!
8)

BTW, answer=YES!

I posted 2500 times as dstar5000 and wore it out!

So I changed it to BigOlJohnson(THANKS SCOTTK!) and I
guess I'll until I wear BigOlJohnson OUT!
:shock:

Don

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:10 pm
by Paul Illick
Esso-->Exxon. Too easy.

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:56 am
by Guest
Paul Illick wrote:Esso-->Exxon. Too easy.
BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Er, ummmm......too easy means you are OLD!
;-)

Don

esso

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:06 pm
by fortyeye
Mad mag ran a cartoon about that time (just after Richard was re-elected in '72) ... NIXXON ... still the same old gas!

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:34 pm
by Wally
Bit off topic, but would a 94mm jug bored out to 96mm be possible with a 86 stroke?
Would that cylinder be long enough to support the piston ?

Greetings,
Walter

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:36 pm
by BigOlJohnson
yes, it works with a 5.5 Chebbie rod.

Don

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:37 pm
by BigOlJohnson
NO one sed it would be EASY though!

I have a set of Manly 6 inch ALU rods, but that would put it
out of my intended RPM range.
8)

Don

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:42 pm
by Wally
IMHO, the rod length has nothing to do with the problem I'am forseeing: the travel length in a 94mm type 4 jug is made for and is long enough for 71mm stroke within the jug. For this, it doesn't matter where that travel happens: at 136mm from your crank or at 131mm from your crank: travel is travel (?).
Of course, for instance, the JE pistons are much shorter, so you gain some with that, but if you want the piston to have cylinder wall support at at least the same position the stock cylinder still has lateral support from the cylinder wall, the question sort of is how much shorter is your 96mm piston in relation to the original 94mm VW piston...
For a 86 stroke crank as opposed to the stock 71 crank, that amount should then be about 15mm.

I hope I made my concern clear enough this time :roll: .

Greetings,
Walter

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:38 pm
by houseofghia
Don, That's just weird that you're changing your sig. BTW I was born in 1971. So the esso thing, I'm at a loss.-Matt
P.S. I see even with this sig you have trouble signing in

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:45 pm
by dave m.
don; Just wondering, how you came up with your assumption on which cylinders run coolest by lookingat the fan shown??? Can you let us know?

Why did this fan shroud come from, home made, or is it sold?

Anyone with experience with this shroud?

I have a 2180 cc that will be cooling into a Kelmark GT (once I recover from some burns) The engine has superflow heads, which do not have many cooling fins, so I will want to optimize the cooling.

i have been considering a late doghouse (FI set up wioth venture ring, as I think that might be the best stock one) and possibly block off the oil cooler air intake to increase air pressure in the shroud to get more air to the cylinders/heads, and them cool the oil remotely.

I also am considering the DTM Type I shroud, but seeing this corvair style one on this post, has got me thinking about it. hence my question on if there is any experience with this shroud. (Jke raby you have any thoughts on this shroud?)

any suggestion are appreciated.

thanks dave menche

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:00 pm
by raygreenwood
Ok...lets see just how old and decrepit you guys really are. What exactly was Esso famous for...that was different for some time....and an advantage over other oil companies? Hint:....in many respects....Exxon still has some of these advantages. Ray