Need help form a TIV enthusiast in SOCAL!!

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Yep... I have found that a 1-5/8 system works about the best of anything on a TIV. I'm sure he can do some in 1-1/2 and we can test them back to back on the same engine for comparative reasons.

Also i told him just how important stub pipes are for the TIV so we can make the system work for squareport and oval port type heads both!
Frozen Goat

Post by Frozen Goat »

getting ahead of things here again Jake, but should we mention the use of EHT gauges now that we're talking stub pipes?

B
taozen

Post by taozen »

that's great news if this works out jake...for all. was just talking about the lack of options to someone on GermanLook. hope it works out for all.
Wally

Post by Wally »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:Yep... I have found that a 1-5/8 system works about the best of anything on a TIV.
Yes, so did Ahnendorp years ago :D
This is indeed very good news for the type 4 community.

Jake/Tuna,
Be carefull when you use just one model car for the fitment and design of the future A1 exhaust system. I found that exactly the same header and/or muffler system will not clear even another car of the same model/year bug.
There will be a common denominator, but it probably will take several cars to find that out.
If possible therefore, the system should be test fitted on several models and several cars of that model before any large production runs are made. Or you just try to copy the outside dimensions of the BAS system and be done with it :wink:

Best regards,
Walter
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
MASSIVE TYPE IV

The goal is a syetem closer to the systems on the market for TIs that use a fatboy style muffler or even a set of dual Q/Ps or even a stinger. Tiger and I both agree that all the length of the BAS systenm is not needed and generates alot of under car heat.

Tiger only does systems like this and I'm sure he knows how to create something that will fit under the rear of all cars equally.

This is unfortunately going to be a mass produced part, so just grin and bear the fact that it will fit some cars better than others- Hey if you don't like that Buy a Tangerine and have it your way!

Mass production is the only thing thats gonna get the prices reasonable- there are downfalls to this.
new2bugs out to sea

What is important?

Post by new2bugs out to sea »

I am not sure if this is the right question or not, but does the Engine size matter?

I mean will the same exhaust fit a stock width engine like a 1.7 liter as a 2270?

Some of us "Budget minded Builders" will have to stick with what is simple like going from 1.7 and just upsizing the bore, if we can and not having the knowledge or the budget to deala with a stroker engine.

Is a stroked engine wider or narrower than a 1.7, 1.8, 2.0?

If so how does that affect the exhaust dimensions?

I haven't had to deal with this same issue on a type 1 either.

I know some of you have, so is this a non issue?

Or what?
tuna

Re: What is important?

Post by tuna »

new2bugs out to sea wrote:I am not sure if this is the right question or not, but does the Engine size matter?

I mean will the same exhaust fit a stock width engine like a 1.7 liter as a 2270?
This is something Tiger and I discussed. The width is the same, if it's
a 1.7, 1.8 or a 2.0. A 2270 will be the same if you use the correct
pistons or your stroke. Shimming goes on more with the Type 1 than
it does with the Type 4.
Is a stroked engine wider or narrower than a 1.7, 1.8, 2.0?
Depending on the rod/piston choice, it can be either. However,
it's not that difficult to build a stroker that's the same width as a
stocker. To quote Jake, "it's all in the combination!"

Tuna
http://vdubgeek.blogspot.com/
Type 4: Secrets Revealed - https://type4secrets.blogspot.com/
Tom's Type 4 Corner - coming soon!
EMPI Imp Homepage - coming soon!
My VWs - http://vdubgeek.blogspot.com/p/my-vdubs_5.html
MASSIVE TYPE IV

The system will incorporate slip joints to avoid shimmage issues.

Re: What is important?

Post by Guest »

new2bugs out to sea wrote:Is a stroked engine wider or narrower than a 1.7, 1.8, 2.0?
FYI:
A stock 1700/1800 engine is only 5mm narrower than a stock 2.0, so it does matter, just not a lot. Enough tho so that a stock 2 liter exhaust will not fit a 1700/1800 engine...

Greetings,
Walter
magic

type 4 DTM

Post by magic »

If you guys need another motor or something falls thru, I have a T-4motor long block in Long beach, Ca. with a DTM mounted that could be used for awhile for your project.

dean
MASSIVE TYPE IV

We'll keep that in mind! Thanks!
Plastermaster

Post by Plastermaster »

I haven't kept up on T1 stuff for a few years now. Jake posted a preference for a system that would work with the Phat Boy mufflers,or other T1 mufflers. since I value a quiet "sleeper" approach I looked up the Phat Boy Mufflers on Aircooled,net and then started looking at the different headers. It looks like A-1 has added alot to the standard 4-1 header that has been around for ages. The T1 has alot of header options now, and we are just begging for anything that will work at a reasonable price! I really think we are tapping into a gold mine in Tigers help with this. With what he has done in the past few years, this will just be another header design for him. I'm sure he can make it happen for us.

Anyway, my original intention in posting was that I saw in my browsing, a step header. This goes from 1&5/8" to 1&3/4" to help scavange better, This is new to me. Has anyone here had any experience with these? With the T4 love for a good exhaust, this might be a good standard part of a T4 system.

Ron