POR 15 alternative

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
User avatar
craigman
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2003 12:12 am

POR 15 alternative

Post by craigman »

Hey guys,
Is the any alternatives to the POR15? It's kinda spendy,, i would like to use something else that's pretty decent. I know the POR 15 is supposed to be the best, but anything thing that's good will do. My pan isn't rusty, but i'd like to coat it with something to prevent rust.
Thanks in advance guys! :D
VGM
Posts: 1246
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2002 12:01 am

Post by VGM »

The POR comes in a small can but a pint goes a LONG way
witha brush(and latex gloves of course).
User avatar
Mdyson
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:22 am

Post by Mdyson »

Try Hammerite. Its nice stuff and I know they paint machines with it because its hard to chip. Home depot sells it in spray or brush on.
User avatar
Kubel Nick
Posts: 1770
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Kubel Nick »

POR15 sucks, occasionally alot of people have a hard time letting it stick especially on new smooth sheet metal. You'll have to let it surface rust a bit some the paint to grab onto. It is the one most expesive rust preventative nor it's not used for industrial use (military, farm equiptment, etc). But it is most popular because of advertising, but it's not the only one nor the best. It's also not UV resistant (it will fade).

RustBullet.com, masterless, and a few other ones are better and cheaper. I've used RustBullet with good success. Only thing that POR15 does better is it dries smooth when brushed on. Not a big deal to me since I paint mine on with a air gun, plus RustBullet doesn't require and thinner when shot with (just use as is).
User avatar
Rescue912
Posts: 567
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:00 am

Post by Rescue912 »

Another vote for Rust bullet. I have used several different varieties but RB is less expensive, easier to handle and just works...
User avatar
craigman
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2003 12:12 am

Post by craigman »

Thanks guys for the reply!!
I'm thinking about the Hammerite. I have a local Home Depot just a couple miles from my house!! Sounds like a good product to put on my pan before i lay down my new carpet!!
Thanks again!
Guest

por 15 alternative

Post by Guest »

I like POR 15 because it flows easily into cracks and crevices that you can't reach with a brush too well. Yes, you need to have a rusty surface for it to stick to, but you can also by the zinc prep solution and that will etch the surface and give the paint somthing to hold onto.

No, it is not uv resistant but if you are using it under carpet and such it will work fine.

I have been trying out Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator. It seems to work okay and it is available in rattle cans so that is convenient. It too requires either a rusty surface or a zinc prep in order to work properly. Once it is dry to the touch you can paint over it with regular paint since it is a rust inhibitor and primer. POR 15 requires you to put a 'mist coating' of primer on it before it dries completely.

I haven't tried any of the others that are mentioned in the postings.
User avatar
Kubel Nick
Posts: 1770
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Kubel Nick »

Yup, just like said above, POR-15 requires too much steps and additional products to apply right. :roll: For something that costs more then the other products you'd figure it would require less steps...
Post Reply