Page 1 of 2

Jake the Great and Brent too!

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:04 pm
by Mark Peebles
:D As some of your know, Jake is pushing new developement when it comes to racing and my 914 in SCCA F Production. We campaigned the car this year in quest of the championship for the Southeast Division of SCCA(8 states).
We fell short in points due our documented demise at Barber in Birmingham.
But, we still wanted to beat the 6 year running F Prod champion at the championship race this past weekend, even though we could not win in points.
With JE Pistons not getting our pistons to us in time, it looked bleak.
Jake felt my pain and suggested that he had enough junk yard parts to come up with some type of engine to at least get me around the track, maybe!
With one week until the race, Jake and Brent worked day and night to come up with enough parts to get it together. They even found some piston rings in the garbage can . All bearings and bushings were used as was a very used and abused crank.The case was even in need of a align bore. My carbs and heads were bolted onto the junk yard dog and still hot from the dyno put in the crate for shippment.
I installed it the next night and headed to the championships at Savannah.
Jake blessed the engine and said it would smoke alot and lose power thourghout the race but would stay together.
Saturday, belching smoke and fingers crossed,I went out to qualify. Knowing the lack of power later on, I held on for dear life for the first 3 laps and qualified 4th out of 38 cars. Of course, everyone came and told me I was smoking for most of the run. Normally, a smoking race car has very limited life span.
The junk yard dog came through and I finished first in class and 1400 feet in front of the past champion.
Way to go Jake and Brent. Thanks for all your support and encourgement to try and go for the win with a trash can parts engine. Only Aircooled Tech could pull off such a victory.
And Yes, Jake, I owe you big time. Mark

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:45 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Thanks Mark...

Last week was definately interesting trying to dig through junk to find good parts only to have JE send us the wrong rings again on the last day and then we had to dig the old ones out of the trash!

Here is a breakdown of just how little time we did this in....
Monday- dug up bottom end parts and balanced
Monday night- worked till 0400 getting the case cleaned and machining done

Tuesday- Brent and I tag teamed it all day. He left at around 8Pm and i worked till 0400 again. I finished the complete engine and had it ready for the dyno when Brent came in on Wednesday morning..

Wednesday- Gave it one hell of a break in, and two power pulls. Power was AMAZING for pure junk and no blueprint work at all.... We only had time for two pulls before the truck would be here to get the engine so he could install it on Thursday! We pulled the engine off the dyno wearing welding gloves and smelled wood burning when we sat it into the crate!

The engine was built so loose and with ALL USED PARTS from other engines that we had either blown on the dyno or taken apart from R&D engines. Literally the only new parts in the engine were the main and rod bearings. Nothing was checked and a micrometer was not used at all! We built the entire engine by feel and finished the entire longblock in less than SEVEN HOURS!

Did I mention that we had 12.65:1 CR..........

This goes to show just how tough a Type IV really is! Mark is going to keep the engine in his car for a couple of more races while we wait on JE to finish the pistons for his new Nickies engine...

For those of you that don't know the demise of Marks old engine....
After 3 race seasons on the same engine (freshened twice) Mark's oiling system had a failure and he lost a rod bearing at near 8,000 RPM. There was literally nothing left of the engine except the heads. We are working to build him a 100% new one for 2005 season.

I am really glad we pulled this off, and on top of the fact that its built from Junk and won first in class, it didn't leak a single drop of oil at all! Heck, if we would have had new rings there is no telling what it would have done!

BTW, Mark also accomplished this running a DTM in his 914! I did try my newest theory on cam and lifter compatibility and ran the best conventional lifters I could find with his first cam that was running ceramics for 2 seasons. The polished lobes have seemed to REALLY like new lifters. Its working, just like in the tests..

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:56 pm
by type11969
I don't know what else to say but damn, thats cool.

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:54 pm
by Racer Chris
Congratulations on your win Mark! :)

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:23 pm
by Plastermaster
You build them blind folded, and you build them from junk and they come out winning. what else is left?

Ron

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:26 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Underwater.....

Hmmn, that gives me an idea!!!

WOW, now that would be a challenge!

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:20 pm
by Class 11 streeter
If I had been Mark's loosing opponent in that race, I would be giving Jake a call! :lol:

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:41 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
He drives an English car............. I think a sprite.

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:50 pm
by Plastermaster
MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:Underwater.....

Hmmn, that gives me an idea!!!

WOW, now that would be a challenge!

I think you would have a problem with the lubes and sealants, but for an engine blow, who cares? :D
Break out the diving bell!

Ron

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:09 pm
by Marty
Very nice!

I heard about this deal.
Way to go guys!

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:27 am
by dstar
Can I post the graph now Jake?
:D

Don

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:43 am
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Dstar,
don't post the graph..... Too many competitors eyes here...

It was "Enough" power and thats all that matters!

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:02 am
by dstar
MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:Dstar,
don't post the graph..... Too many competitors eyes here...

It was "Enough" power and thats all that matters!
:cry:

OK........

:lol:

Don

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:36 am
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
No one would believe it anyway! Hell I didn't even believe it!

This one did teach me a few things though.. I wanted to try them before but never had the guts!

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:05 am
by Guest
quote-
You build them blind folded, and you build them from junk and they come out winning. what else is left?

Damn, I agree -

Jake, I've said it before,
YOU DA MAN