compression ratio..
-
Bklyn63
- Posts: 79
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:54 pm
compression ratio..
what compression or deck height should I be looking for when building my 2332 cc motor?
thanks
Leo
thanks
Leo
- 2332 baja
- Posts: 1662
- Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:27 pm
There are alot of variables that affect CR choice, like cam duration, octane, and what you intend to use the engine for ( daily driver, drag only, street/strip,,,etc). I'm no expert on this subject, but these are some of the things engine guru's will need to know. I'm running 9.5 CR on my 2332 with 296 duration 465 lift, CB ultra mags, 1 5/8 exhaust, dual 44's, in a baja used for street/strip on 92 octane. Good luck and enjoy!!!
- Marc
- Moderator
- Posts: 23741
- Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 12:01 am
It's tough to build a big motor with a reasonable pump-gas compression ratio and tight deck height - for example, at .060" deck you'd need ~67cc heads to get 8.5:1...that's 12 to 15 more CCs than a typical chamber size. With 55cc chambers you'd be at nearly 10:1 with that deck height. If you want to keep the deck height down and avoid semi-hemi heads for maximum efficiency, you're going to need to have dishes machined into the piston tops or run some expensive fuel.
- 2332 baja
- Posts: 1662
- Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:27 pm
I believe that CB's Wedge Ports have approx 65cc chambers and I've heard alot of good things from people that use them. My Ultra Mags have 57cc, which requires me to run .065 deck to get 9.5 CR. In hindsite, I wish that I had spent the extra $$$ for the Wedge Ports to that I could have tightened my deck height. But I am still very pleased with the performance of the Ultra Mags, and I can always do some porting and open the chamber up to make them more like the Wedgies. Good luck with your engine,,,, 2332's are BAD A$$.
- Muffler Mike
- Posts: 3186
- Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:01 am
although probably not as optimal as dishing a piston with a smaller chamber. (and dishing the piston mirroring the shape of the chamber being the best)
this is what we did for my friends turbo motor. (Had it done)
good thing the 044's have a fairly deep set valve seat surface.
these heads were massaged to 70cc and somewhat still resemble a chamber. they started out as cnc oval port 044's


this is what we did for my friends turbo motor. (Had it done)
good thing the 044's have a fairly deep set valve seat surface.
these heads were massaged to 70cc and somewhat still resemble a chamber. they started out as cnc oval port 044's


- Muffler Mike
- Posts: 3186
- Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:01 am
-
CHAZAVW
- Posts: 2163
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:01 am
-
Bklyn63
- Posts: 79
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:54 pm
I was going to use the car for a street/strip application. I want to bullet proof the motor. forged crank rods etc. I am just not sure what size pistons etc to use . Ihear machining the case for an 84mm crank is over kill and I wont have any longevity. not to mention using 94mm pistons...
any suggestions?
I was going to use cb rods , 044 heads not sure of valve sizes 40mm/35mm is it too small?,super case shuffle pinned, full flow oilcase savers etc...
-Leo
any suggestions?
I was going to use cb rods , 044 heads not sure of valve sizes 40mm/35mm is it too small?,super case shuffle pinned, full flow oilcase savers etc...
-Leo
- 2332 baja
- Posts: 1662
- Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:27 pm
IMO, I would definately go a set of ported 42x37 like the Ultra Mags. The stroker engines need more flow. You could probably get away with the CNC round ports and have them ported later if you decide you want more flow. I have been using 94mm p&c's in cases with 8mm studs for years with no problems, but everyone has their own idea of longevity. And as for the case clearancing on an 84 vs an 82 crank, I'm not sure if their is a major disadvantage because of the extra clearancing. I bought my shortblock from CB and originally ordered an 82 crank but opted for the 84 before Pat started the build (just had to have the extra cc's and the cost increase wasn't that much). Maybe some of the guys that have more experience with the 82's and 84's will chime in and clear it up for both of us.
-
Guest
- Muffler Mike
- Posts: 3186
- Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:01 am
- 2332 baja
- Posts: 1662
- Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:27 pm
I thought the price was very reasonable. When I added the cost of the parts, there wasn't much $$$ left for labor. I'm not sure if they give a "package deal" or what, but I am pleased with the price and the performance. Pat does great work, and I dealt with Bob Tomlinson the founder. I opted for a shortblock because I already had a set of p&c's and found a deal on a set of CB Ultra Mags. My engine specs are:
84 Super race crank w/ chevy journals
5.5" Super race rods (H-Beam)
296 dur 420 lift cam CB#2250
AA stroker 94 pistons
CB Ultra Mags w/ matchported big beefs
dual 44's
Full MSD ignition system (dizzy, coil, and 6al)
I'm not sure what you are looking for but I like this combo. It runs strong from idle to around 7k. You could get away with a more aggressive cam and still use it on the street IMO, but the guys at CB can lead you in the right direction if you tell them what your looking for. The last/biggest engine that I had was a 2109 which was pretty simple to assemble and a strong engine, but the difference between the two is night and day. I was a little worried about trying to tackle this one myself, but
really wanted a 2332. Everyone has their own comfort level and this one was a little out of mine at the moment. I would at least give them a call and get a quote. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
84 Super race crank w/ chevy journals
5.5" Super race rods (H-Beam)
296 dur 420 lift cam CB#2250
AA stroker 94 pistons
CB Ultra Mags w/ matchported big beefs
dual 44's
Full MSD ignition system (dizzy, coil, and 6al)
I'm not sure what you are looking for but I like this combo. It runs strong from idle to around 7k. You could get away with a more aggressive cam and still use it on the street IMO, but the guys at CB can lead you in the right direction if you tell them what your looking for. The last/biggest engine that I had was a 2109 which was pretty simple to assemble and a strong engine, but the difference between the two is night and day. I was a little worried about trying to tackle this one myself, but
really wanted a 2332. Everyone has their own comfort level and this one was a little out of mine at the moment. I would at least give them a call and get a quote. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
-
Guest
your motor is basically the motor Im looking for but not with msd ignition.
I was going to use 44 IDF's , 94mm pistons 84mm crank but I hear its not aorth it to go wit hchevy journals. People tell me to stick with vw journals.
heres my specs..
super case shuffle pinned full flowed case savers
5.5 H-beam rods
84mm crank w chevy journals
94mm pistons
1.25 rockers
125 engle cam
42/37 valves
not sure about the heads but something to match the cam.with the right cc's.
Im willing to sacrifice some everyday driveability to get my car in the 12's or 13's.
I was going to use 44 IDF's , 94mm pistons 84mm crank but I hear its not aorth it to go wit hchevy journals. People tell me to stick with vw journals.
heres my specs..
super case shuffle pinned full flowed case savers
5.5 H-beam rods
84mm crank w chevy journals
94mm pistons
1.25 rockers
125 engle cam
42/37 valves
not sure about the heads but something to match the cam.with the right cc's.
Im willing to sacrifice some everyday driveability to get my car in the 12's or 13's.
-
Guest