2.0 Rods

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
bpcatdog

2.0 Rods

Post by bpcatdog »

What is the beef with the 2.0 rods? Is it their lack of strength (beam, bolts), small rod journal compared to the beefier 1.7/1.8 rods or type 1.

Can the 2.0 rods be used with with confidence with a 100 HP+ engine? Just want to know if it's worth the time and money to have rebuilt and used at a later date. Bottom line, how strong are they really?

Louie
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

They are good for 100 HP no sweat..Simply because the stock 2.0 914 had right at 100HP.

The problem is the beam weight....all that weight works on the bolts..

Post by Guest »

I won't even touch the topic about taking weight off the rods. Seems like a lot of work to take off a few grams.

Louie
bpcatdog

Post by bpcatdog »

I would imagine that type 1 rods could be used on a 71mm crank, correct? Now to find someone to weld one up.

Louie
HAM Inc

Post by HAM Inc »

Back in the day Super Vee's used stock rods ( rules required them) without problems. They were 1.7/1.8 rods, which are very similar to the 2.0 rods. They were lightened extensively and turned 8500+RPM's producing 180HP.

With good bolts the 2.0 rods have been used on high-output engines, according to some of my customers.
Dominic

RE: 2.0L Rods ????

Post by Dominic »

Jake,
When will those new 2.0L rods be available to the public ?
Will they work with the stock 71mm stroke and stock wrist pin size?
Any idea on a ballpark price for a set ???

I think for the right price this could be a big seller.
Thanks for any updates.
Dominic
MASSIVE TYPE IV

They are on hold...

I need to order a minimum of 500 at once to get them at any decent price!

The rods are a 100% reproduction of the stock 2.0 rod except they have ARP bolts and are an H beam style that is 400 grams lighter.

If I can get enough sold they will happen, but i need buyers before I will go any farther.

Post by Guest »

Jake,
Whats a decent price? More or Less than $400.00 for a set ?

400 grams lighter....thats awesome!

I'll buy at least 2 sets if the price is right just to get the order rolling.
I'm sure you can find more type 4 and 914 nuts like me out there, we just need to get the word out.
Thanks again for all the work you do!
Dominic
MASSIVE TYPE IV

I will have to get atleast 50 sets sold at 280.00 per set to even be able to place the order! The rest of it I can foot the bill for and use them here..
Tom in PA

Post by Tom in PA »

yikes, that is a smokin deal :shock: I can't imagine you'd have too much trouble getting an order for 50 in a little time. The problem will come when you want to do alternate lengths. Unfortunately none of my upcoming projects will need a set any time soon. I still haven't transplanted the 2316 into the buggy. You're gonna shoot me soon if I don't (If you don't I WILL) :oops:

Tom in PA
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Any chance for rods like that for a 66 stroke? Those could be a seller too. Ray
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Yep, but the same applies.... Gotta buy 500 rods at a time to make it happen..

Post by Guest »

Not to turn this into a buy thread, but put me down for a set of rods, 71mm, 400grams lighter? Wow I'm there..... JR
jrinlv315

Post by jrinlv315 »

Sorry thats me.
Tin Blister

Post by Tin Blister »

Many years ago, when I worked for an engine builder, we used to make trick rods out of stock ones by grinding the beams down, polishing them and then shot peening them. This resulted in a lighter and stronger rod than the stock one.While I'm not sure just how much weight this took off, I'm wondering if this treatment is a feasible approach to the 2.0 rod and it's inherent weight problem. Would a set of rods "massaged" in this manner be good for a 2056 set up for making a smooth, wide power band and not neccessarily high RPM's? I don't yet know what combination of components I'll be using, but probably something like a 73 Webcam and Weber 40's.