Page 1 of 1
32 pdsit carbs, what can you tell me about them?
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:58 pm
by chopped50ford
I have a set, but dont know much about them, they are a stock dual setup.
Can anyone share some or all information on these? Can these run on DP 1600????etc.???
For suggestions sake, I want to run a dual carb setup, but nothing large, just a little larger than stock for my 1600. I have had this setup for some time...not sure where I got them. I know fuel comsumption is out of the question, that is why im looking for the smaller size setups. I have always ran Kadrons, and love them, but I dont want the 40mm-more gas sucking carbs...
I hope I explained myself clear enough.
I have a 58 Bus and want to have the added power of a stock motor to pull a lightweight aluminum trailer.
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:58 am
by Marc
32PDSIT were stock on 1500 and 1600cc dual-carb Type III (6V singleport through `66 and 12V dualport from `67-up - US went to FI in `68) and will work on an "upright" engine if you cobble up some linkage and have tall enough intake manifolds. If you used the III manifolds the accelerator pump linkage on the LH carb would hit the overcylinder tin...tall spacers would probably work too.
They are known for having throttle body wear that makes it impossible to adjust them for a stable idle with consistent emissions numbers.
There's a number stamped into the float bowl that'll help you identify their original application:
http://failsure.net/oacdp/wog69/049.png
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:24 pm
by Clatter
Berg sells a set of manifolds for those to use on upright engines.
They still had them a couple of years ago when I talked to them.
This would be a sweet way to go if you had a mild setup, and wanted good efficiency, electric chokes. Throw their linkage on, and...
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:23 pm
by chopped50ford
Im looking for efficiency, not Hot Rod. A bump of power is good. I also dont want gas guzzling, like 44's either. Just dual single throat carbs.
Can these carbs shafts be bushed?
Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:55 pm
by GjMan
Rimco can rebush those throttle shafts. On The Samba classifieds there is a pair of Brazilian Bug tall manifolds for use with these carbs. Should be cheaper than Berg's. With those manifolds, you just need to fab a linkage. Or buy Berg's.
Oh, and those carbs don't accept just any air cleaners. You can't use the Type 3 stocker on a Type 1, so you need foam element types which I believe are still available. Probably from Berg's.
All this may seem like a lot of trouble, when you can buy a set of Weber 34 ICTs for a reasonable price. But the 32 PDSITs are smoother and you can use a vacuum advance distributor with them. Plus, they have chokes if that's important to you. I am currently running a pair on a 1776 and am quite satisfied. Great low- to mid-range and very good gas mileage.
Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:45 pm
by chopped50frd
Great low- to mid-range and very good gas mileage.
This is what I am looking for.
Thanks.