Of a freshly built motor running for the first time!
Just fired up the 1600 i built for my sister.
After sorting out the timing it runs beatifully, and it cost less than 250$!
don't you love that feelin...
-
RoWaMe
- Posts: 1698
- Joined: Fri May 24, 2002 12:01 am
Good going! Yes, it's an exciting moment. Next big grin is when that same engine brings you home without problems after your first long trip.
Even bigger grin is when you can dust off some mediocre "modern" car driven hard by an obnoxious guy leaning half way over to the right in the driver's seat, hunched down, with his left hand all the way over at the 3:00 position on the wheel...
Even bigger grin is when you can dust off some mediocre "modern" car driven hard by an obnoxious guy leaning half way over to the right in the driver's seat, hunched down, with his left hand all the way over at the 3:00 position on the wheel...
- Freq2002
- Posts: 813
- Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2002 1:01 am
"The closest thing a man can get to giving birth is putting so much time, effort, & blood into building an engine, & then hearing it draw it's first breath as it roars to life under his hand".
Me
It's awesome, I still love it anytime I've built an engine, hearing it run the 1st time.
Was doing a fresh build once & my wife had been pestering me about why i spend so much time in the garage. Soooo, I had her help. Actualy, she did the most of the build, I instructed. The look in her eye when we fired the pig up the first time let me know she knew EXACTLY why I love it so much.
Needless to say, she doesn't bother me anymore, & occasionaly I get her out there & get her hands dirty. If we could all be so lucky eh?
Me
It's awesome, I still love it anytime I've built an engine, hearing it run the 1st time.
Was doing a fresh build once & my wife had been pestering me about why i spend so much time in the garage. Soooo, I had her help. Actualy, she did the most of the build, I instructed. The look in her eye when we fired the pig up the first time let me know she knew EXACTLY why I love it so much.
Needless to say, she doesn't bother me anymore, & occasionaly I get her out there & get her hands dirty. If we could all be so lucky eh?
I dig all cars, whether old, new, hammered out of Japanese tin cans, American iron, or German steel.
Rides:
70 Volksrod "The Black Bomber"
12 Jetta 2.5
56 GMC 370 "Tater"
07 Avalanche
20 Cherokee Trialhawk
05' Harley FLHTCUI
Rides:
70 Volksrod "The Black Bomber"
12 Jetta 2.5
56 GMC 370 "Tater"
07 Avalanche
20 Cherokee Trialhawk
05' Harley FLHTCUI
-
bcrazy
- Posts: 267
- Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2000 12:01 am
Counting the spare parts that came with the car:Blinger wrote:less then 250?!?! where?!?!?! how?!?!? I want one!!!!!11one
Piston&Cylinders, less than 3k
Brand New carb
Fan housing and sheet metal.
Gaskets and flywheel seal
Heater boxes
Oil pump
Clutch
Pushrods
Paid 450$ for the car.
Used heads, intake manifold, air filter housing: 25$
Used block, with internals and flywheel, all in very good condition: 65$
Valve guides (I changed them myself): 65$
Bearings: 65$
Exhaust: 100$
Ooops! a bit more than 250$ but still a very cheap rebuild 320$
Defineatly the best feeling was leaving an 80's 911 parked at the stop light! That was with a different engine tough... (2056)
- Clatter
- Posts: 2056
- Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 1:01 am
bcrazy,
I take it you left the compression low in your sister's motor.
The car still makes decent power?
Another thing is when they say that when something is boring,
it's "like watching paint dry".
-Well-
When you car finallly comes out of the paint shop, and the fresh paintjob turns out well,
glistening in the sun...
Watching paint dry can be a glorious moment in a man's life...
I take it you left the compression low in your sister's motor.
The car still makes decent power?
Another thing is when they say that when something is boring,
it's "like watching paint dry".
-Well-
When you car finallly comes out of the paint shop, and the fresh paintjob turns out well,
glistening in the sun...
Watching paint dry can be a glorious moment in a man's life...
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!
Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
-
bcrazy
- Posts: 267
- Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2000 12:01 am
left it low
Comes out to 7.5:1 with 45 cc chambers and a shitty 0.110" deck height
Don't know how much power it makes yet. Car has no seats, left alone doors or wings, so driving it on the road may not be too smart...
I'm a bit curious of the performance. I ported the heads slightly and back cut the valves. It does seem to have a much nicer throttle response than other 1600 engines i've had. I let you know how it runs ones i get to "beat" it a bit...
One of my sis' friends told her that she couldn't go camping with it an 4 friends because the engine only has 50 hp.... Should try and tell him that it probably has more torqe than most small engined cars with 75 bhp....
One thing that is more boring than watching paint dry, is to wait for the painter to get his finger out of a certain place, and paint the hood, doors and wings....
Comes out to 7.5:1 with 45 cc chambers and a shitty 0.110" deck height
Don't know how much power it makes yet. Car has no seats, left alone doors or wings, so driving it on the road may not be too smart...
I'm a bit curious of the performance. I ported the heads slightly and back cut the valves. It does seem to have a much nicer throttle response than other 1600 engines i've had. I let you know how it runs ones i get to "beat" it a bit...
One of my sis' friends told her that she couldn't go camping with it an 4 friends because the engine only has 50 hp.... Should try and tell him that it probably has more torqe than most small engined cars with 75 bhp....
One thing that is more boring than watching paint dry, is to wait for the painter to get his finger out of a certain place, and paint the hood, doors and wings....
-
Guest
Well the engine has now finally seen som action on the road.
It runs very nice. It runs pretty much like a stock 1600 but feels like it has a bit more low down torque. But it also runs out of steam quite fast, especially with the 1200/1300 gearing. I suspect this is beacause the use of a cam that only lifts the valves about 7.4 mm. Some ratio rockes would probably wake it up a bit.
But all in all just about the perfect engine for my sister who like "cruising" the roundabouts in 3rd gear
It runs very nice. It runs pretty much like a stock 1600 but feels like it has a bit more low down torque. But it also runs out of steam quite fast, especially with the 1200/1300 gearing. I suspect this is beacause the use of a cam that only lifts the valves about 7.4 mm. Some ratio rockes would probably wake it up a bit.
But all in all just about the perfect engine for my sister who like "cruising" the roundabouts in 3rd gear