Page 1 of 1

WHOO HOO! The 3.0 is alive!

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:06 am
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Hell yeah!

It fired up on the first revolution!

I still need to hook up the linkage and all the small items on the dyno to really monitor this one and then its ready to give hell. The small stuff will take most of the day so at this point I think that tomorrow would be a great expectation to see the big numbers!

I think what I love about it so much at this point is the fact that it sounds just as smooth as a stock engine! No choppy idle at all.... I love that!

I feel like a 1000 pound anvil has been lifted off my chest- This sucker is insane!

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:14 am
by max power
CONGRATULATIONS JAKE! Ever pushing the aircooled envelope.

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:14 am
by Wally
Yeah, I can imagine that. You have been working on this for so long :D

Luckily Nikasils run in(sp?) very quickly :wink:

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:00 am
by max power
is this the first time your heads have been on a running engine?

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:00 am
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Yes.....

And they are doing great!

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:46 am
by 74Shagenwagen
Wholey sheet! Was just at Jake's shop to see this beast. It idles smoother and quieter than my 2ltr Bus motor! But rev it up, it sounds like war was declared! It's Awesome, man!

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:41 pm
by DORIGTT
YEEEEEAAAAAA!

HOT DAMN! Sounds like trouble is a-brewing in Jake's little shop of aircooled terror.

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:04 pm
by Flintstones
Jake,
you have got to record the sound of this monster for the rest of us to here!!!
Congrats
Cheers

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:14 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
I swear it sounds stock... Not pissed off at all....

Plus in the dyno room the walls absorb all the sound and makes it very hard to tape anything..

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:21 pm
by 74Shagenwagen
yeah, I heard it without the muffler, but with the muffler on it's like a total sleeper.

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:49 pm
by Wally
Must be fun at that dyno day: Type 1 shroud, type 1 exhaust; Hey, that must be a type 1 then!
Untill the torque curve keeps climbing :D :lol:

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:51 am
by samcat
Congrats Jake! Must have been a bit nerve racking firing it up for the first time, after all that work!

Cya,
Sam C

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:01 am
by NO_H2O
I'm proud to have played a small part in getting that thing ready to go. I sware that ther are maybe 3-4 parts in the whole engine that didn't require some kind of modification to make them work and 2 of them are the dizzy and the dizzy clamp. Everything else had to be moved, clearanced, turned, milled, cut, welded, built up or just plain ground down. I spent 2 days up there with Jake, trying to get it from a long block to the Dyno and still didn't get to hear it fire up,,,,,,,well I did hear it over the phone. It is Dr. Jakenstien's monster for sure and it was kicking and screaming all the way to the dyno. I hope it does some real screaming on the dyno and puts up some numbers that equal all the effort thet the good Dr. put into it.
Dr. Jakenstien's Monster,,,,, now that is a good name for it :twisted:

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:09 am
by Eddie Brown
Congrats Jake! You deserve all the success you're getting. Nobody out works you man.

Hope to hear it someday...

Late,

E.