Page 1 of 1

944 rear brake install

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:52 pm
by Victor H
Anyone know where I can find a schematic of the 944 rear disc brake system. Just need to see where everything goes.

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:17 pm
by iswinkels
This might help...

http://www.geocities.com/danielzink/944rear.html

If your using IRS or long spline swing axels you don't need to machine the 944T hubs. The backing plates might need work to get them to seal on to the VW axel, or a 2mm spacer plate could be used, and then standard gaskets will seal the gap.

Last of all, this is a 944 turbo rear brake conversion, that uses NON-Turbo rotors. Simular principals will apply if the non turbo brakes, as the offsets remain the same, only the caliper is diferent.

The backing plates used here are not the turbo ones either, though turbo ones can be used as the caliper spacing is the same. Both are made of aluminium.

I'm about to bolt this conversion on my car in a few days as soon as my 17" wheels are ready... If you have any questions or want me to take some pictures just ask.

Cheers,

944 turbo on rear only?

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:49 pm
by effvee
Hi, you are installing the 944 turbo calipers on the rears only? What are you using on the fronts? Given the front calipers are larger than the rear calipers and to add further senitivity of not have the weight in front how will this effect you braking. Even though I am not at that point as yet, I have altered the rear backing plate to adapt the front on the rears, due to being larger brakes. So on mine I will have the same caliper on all four wheels. I beleive the 1972 or 73 Porsche used the same caliper front and rear.

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:03 am
by Victor H
I'm using the standard non-turbo calipers, they are single piston floating caliper.

Picutes help a lot. Is there a separate metal backing plate that the e-brakes ride on? My kit only has the aluminum rear backing plate onto which the caliper bolts. Is there another plate that goes between that and the shoes?

No

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:09 am
by effvee
No, there is a approx 1 inch hole were the parking brake cable enter at the bottem. The 944 rear brake cables have a extra part that support the cable in that hole. Try going to www.germanlook.com look under brakes.

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:42 pm
by Denny
Victor:
Here's a link that will be of interest to you:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/944/944_par ... /Pic69.jpg

The 944 backing plates carry the e-brake shoes and related hardware. You can a lot of parts information from pelicanparts.com.

Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:23 pm
by Victor H
I don't really see any good pictures of the hand brake cable install. One issue is the change from the VW rectangular cable hook to the Porsche more clevis pin style attachment. I undersand an adapting bracket can be made but I don't see any pictures of that.

Also, what are people doing to keep the hand brake cable sheath from flopping around in the e-brake tube out of the 944 backing plate?

Finally, if I want take the non-turbo brake caliper apart to clean and have it replated, where do I find instructions on how to do that?

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:31 am
by Derrick from NC
I am planning to convert my 914 rear disc to the 944 turbo. I have a chance to pickup a set of 85 non-turbo hubs. I was told these are the same as the later hubs....can anyone verify for me that these are the same as the later 86 and up 944Turbo and S2 hubs? :?:

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:09 pm
by Victor H
How do I post pictures? I post some of my install if someone can tell me how.