Placing a porsche oil tank in Ghia

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
turbochad
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:42 pm

Placing a porsche oil tank in Ghia

Post by turbochad »

Has anyone tried to put a Porsche 78-88 oil tank in the rear fender pocket of a ghia? I am converting to a dry sump system on my turbo ghia so that I can run the oil cooler in the front fender without initial startup pressure delay. I currently have a full flow system and ran copper lines to the front because the rear of the car is full of turbo crap and support bars. There is enough residual draining between starts to delay full oil pressure to 3-4 seconds at startup. This concerns me and I am installing a dry sump transfer style pump, tank and a one quart accumulator for pre-startup pressure. The issue I have is in finding a tank that will fit in the car. CB no longer sells their spun aluminum tank which fits in the engine compartment so I am looking at the 911 unit if it will fit without cutting the car. Thanks for the help.
bt
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:24 pm

Post by bt »

Hi, I have 2 911's and a Ghia. If you need some measurements let me know.
bt
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:24 pm

Post by bt »

Look at www.runtrod.com On pg 4 of Ghias, there are some pictures of Ghias with 911 engines. One of those pictures has a web site for the person that is building it. They might be able to help.
bt
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:24 pm

Post by bt »

I seem to be the only person that feels your pain. I am converting a 912 into a 911. I cut out the panel that holds the oil tank from a 911, I test fit it into my Ghia, it will not fit. The Ghia quarter panel would hit the back of the oil tank
jrinlv315
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:15 pm

Post by jrinlv315 »

I'm not even a porsche fan and I know you shouldn't cut up a 912 to make a 911, but it's you car so good luck. JR
bt
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:24 pm

Post by bt »

You dont have to cut it up. You only need to install the oil tank (you can do it by just drilling the holes, the indentations are already there) and weld in the 911 engine mounts. Everything else will bolt right up. It came without a engine and I have a spare 911 engine on my floor. A replacement 912 engine is at least $1500. This way will cost me nothing but time.
Post Reply