Has anybody done this?

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
elev8_dude
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:33 am

Has anybody done this?

Post by elev8_dude »

Details Details, has anybody Mod the fuel door to look like this. Billet Fuel Door. Gotta love it

http://www.dutterassoc.com/BilletFuelDoor.jpg
rustbucket
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:25 am

Post by rustbucket »

Been done quite a bit. You can buy those fuel doors and then it's a cut and paste operation. I've even seen them at Pep Boys. If you want one just check out any import parts website. Might have to modify the filler hose slightly, but it's pretty simple.
vw1303
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:49 pm

Post by vw1303 »

I bought a motorcycle gas tank and cut out the mounting plate and welded it into were the original filler was. I also had to make a filler tube. If u buy one of those caps you will have to make a mounting plate for it which is more difficult.
User avatar
72super
Posts: 306
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2002 12:01 am

Post by 72super »

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that that guy said that door leaks like a b*tch and regretted installing it...
elev8_dude
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:33 am

Post by elev8_dude »

I like the look. I guess I'll have to buy one and mess around with it. Someone needs to make a bolt-on for us aircooled crazies.
racelook
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:28 pm

Post by racelook »

If you buy an good one.. Sparco there's no problem...

The only problem I had, is that there were no welding-in-plates for that sparco so I had to make my own weld-in-bracket.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Wiebrand
elev8_dude
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:33 am

Post by elev8_dude »

Looks good, I guess from your work it’s not going to be a quick accessory. Thanks for the pictures that helps. If you have any more please post. I think I might be crazy enough to try the mod.

Thanks
elev8_dude
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:33 am

Post by elev8_dude »

RaceLook, do you mind sharing the dimensions of the cap? I'd like to start planning "My Damage". Thanks
effvee
Posts: 521
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2001 12:01 am

Good job racelook

Post by effvee »

Now that is nice, please note how racelook project is flush. Elev8_dude you orignal post pict mount were raised, if you go with it do in flush.
Last edited by effvee on Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
racelook
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:28 pm

Post by racelook »

@ evel8-dude

I'm verry bussy at this moment with my last points of school, but in the weekend I have to find some time to measure up the cap. With measurments do you want? (diameter?)

@effvee

Yes I wanted the fuel-entree almost straight with the body. So that it not stood "open" at the underside and top.
p.s. everybody has seen the drainpipe in the bracket!!!?? (so I keep my paint good at the fuel-entree)

Wiebrand
racelook
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:28 pm

Post by racelook »

p.s. On Germanlook.com Boblebaard has used an tankinlet of an golf mk1 so he haddend to make an bracket by his own.

This is his pic

Image

Image
elev8_dude
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:33 am

Post by elev8_dude »

Man, the pictures just get better. Don't worry about the dimensions Racelook I found the measurements for the cap late yesterday. Thanks for the offer to help. Keep us posted on your project, looks mint.
Post Reply