Problem w/rod pins/piston bearings -- what are my options?

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
User avatar
mpdykeman
Posts: 321
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 8:18 pm

Problem w/rod pins/piston bearings -- what are my options?

Post by mpdykeman »

I have been attempting to install my pistons and cylinders. Last night I put them on and measured for deck height--and picked up the shims today. Tonight I went to install everything and I noticed when I got to number three that, after installing the pin in the piston did not have any freedom of movement--and it sure did feel more difficult to push the pin in then I expected. I dont remember it being this way last night. So, right or wrong, I figured I would try a different piston on the rod and temporarily installed my # 4 piston on it. It was better but still felt a little stiff, so I removed it and installed it back onto #4. But then even there it felt a too stiff. So I pulled it off and started closely inspecting the pistons. I notice that there is some marring on the bearing surface within the piston. I have to believe that I did this somehow--even though I have taken every precaution to be very careful.

Have I ruined the pistons? Is this something I can use a little 1500 sandpaper on to clean up the marring and try again? Is it possible that there is something wrong with my #3 rod bushing that is creating the problem as I push the pistion pins through it. How much of a press fit should the pin exibit as it passes through the through the rod?

Any educated advice would be appreciated.

Thanx.
VGM
Posts: 1246
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2002 12:01 am

Post by VGM »

With new pistons,the pins should push in with your firm thumb preasure without the need for a drift and hammer.Sometimes the pin will scuff the piston pin bore as it goes in(especially in reused pistons) if it isn't installed perfectly straight.It's OK to clean it up with fine sandpaper if you check for proper pin fit often as you work.Take off only the minimum and watch for aluminum shavings.
Try each pin in every rod and in every piston before installing them together to make sure the pins "float"and dont bind.
Also to make sure things stay put,I never use the wire retainer that comes with the new piston sets.I use only the Truarc clips these days.
User avatar
mpdykeman
Posts: 321
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 8:18 pm

Post by mpdykeman »

Well, so everything turned out ok. I took some 600 grit and cleaned up my pistons, and then I took a brake hone to the rod bushings--everything went together like butter.

Thanx for the advice.
Guest

Post by Guest »

Like Buttah baby!
Post Reply