Page 1 of 2
Sharp edges on Cams
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:01 pm
by oly29
I remember some time back that Mr. Raby said something about sharp edges on new cams. Are all new cams coming out that way or do some of the manufactures grind the edges so they look more rounded? My new Web cam has very sharp edges, so should I take the grinder and round them over?
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:29 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Did your cam come from me??
We have been inspecting every cam and have had to send a few back.
The sharp edges can be an issue according to what lobe they are on and what portion of the lobe as well. Certain parts of the edge of some lobes never come into contact with the lifters, so its no big deal.
Sharp edges on new cam
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:13 pm
by oly29
No, I got it from one of their distributors. The sharp edges are only on the very edge of the lobes. So this won't hurt anything?
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:17 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Which sides?? They can be VERY bad. Can you send pics?
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:42 pm
by oly29
If you were to look at the cam lobe only the very edge of the cam
_____ _____ both of these edges of the cam but not the top surface
l l
l l
l l
All of the lobes are like this. I would think the edges would be chamfered at 45 degrees to make the cam look more finished.
P.S. Mr Raby,you should be getting my fan some time this week.
Thanks
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:45 pm
by oly29
Sorry, my attempt at drawing didn't turn out to well. I will try and post some pictures tomorrow.
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:25 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
If both sides of all 4 lobes are sharp then you will have an issue no doubt.
Does the cam blank say "integral" or CWC on it between the two aft lobes??
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:25 pm
by oly29
Jake, it does have CWC stamped near the cam gear end.
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:06 pm
by Bugfuel
they should always be chamfered.
If not for any other reason, then at least because the sharp edges are prone to chip -even without any contact- and contaminate your oil with miniscule but VERY hard metal particles.
Round them all off.
Jan
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:39 am
by Marc
But DON'T take a grinder to it.
A whetstone (like you use to sharpen a pocket knife) will do a nice job without risk of damage.
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:49 pm
by oly29
Jake, I sent you some pictures of the cam lobes. I can take more if you need to view different views
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:22 pm
by Daniel G
I'm gonna have to take a look at my cam this weekend. It seems like it had some sharp edges on it when I took it out of the box when I first got it, but I can't rember excactly how bad they were.
Daniel
Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:59 pm
by oly29
Marc, I just finished using my Lansky knife sharping stones on the edges of my cam. They worked out just fine. No more sharp edges.
Thanks for the help.
Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:18 pm
by bottomend
What does "integral|" or CWC stand for? Is this a marking for cam specs? Denotes type of material?
Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:25 am
by seahag
I've been told that CWC cam blanks are the GOOD ones. Can anyone elaborate on this?