Mighty Spyder heads almost complete!

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Mighty Spyder heads almost complete!

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

And wait until you see these babies! Len has done a tremendous amount of work to this set of heads for this very special Super Hero project and the pics he has shared with me so far are astounding!

We will be sharing more about this engine project very soon as it comes time for the MassIVe assembly process to begin. The engine has been modeled over and over and I have finally decided to utilize a cmashaft that we typically only use on our FP 914 race engines- it is one radical puppy that is guaranteed to let this set of twin plugged, huge ported heads do their job.

Stay tuned to the forum to get updates on The Mighty Spyder and to see the pics of these heads very soon.

BTW- Beth and I will be travelling all the way to Leman France for the debut of this car at the Classic Leman in early July of this year and it's going to be an unreal experience for sure!

This is the most extreme street engine I have ever completed to date and I can't wait to get it on the dyno for a good old fashioned workout!
Can Drive Soon

Post by Can Drive Soon »

Sounds sick! :twisted:

Waiting...
mikeG15

Post by mikeG15 »

I've seen various people offering Twin plug type4 heads but there hasn't been any information on the ignition system to go along with them.
What kind of system do you plan on using with this engine?
MASSIVE TYPE IV

We have offered a twin plug arrangement since 2001, but this is the first time the plugs have been installed with this much detail and with a super modified, complimentary chamber shape.

The ignition system is simple for this engine since it utilizes our EFI arrangement with direct fire ignition. There is simply a second set of coil packs wired in a series circuit that fires the second set of plugs.

The way we have done this in the past is with a proprietary arrangement I developed in conjunction with electromotive in 2001. This utilizes one of their ignition only units with altered firing order to get the job done effectively.

I have also utilized a dizzy from a Mazda Z22 4 cylinder truck engine to fire twin plugs in the past. The Z22 was an 8 plug, 4 cylinder engine from the early 80s..... I'd never attempt it today without direct fire, its just not smart to do all that work and then keep things conventional that light the fire.

Twin plug heads are now going to be an option for all Turbocharged MassIVe engines, all Super Heros and more than likely will be STANDARD equipment on our Billet heads
Can Drive Soon

Post by Can Drive Soon »

I wonder how good this twin plug works..

http://www.precisionmatters.biz/product ... index.html

It looks like they cut the dizzy shaft short and throw a gear on both so they run in sync...
dstar

Post by dstar »

There are a boat-load of twin dizzy setups for the VW engine,
due to it's use in airplanes.

Don
HAM Inc

Post by HAM Inc »

This engine is going to be one serious bad ass! The heads will be easily the most radical to leave my shop to date. It's nice not having any rules holding you back.

The heads recieved a full, documented 10hours of welding! We won't talk about the machine and hand porting time.

In addition to the above I designed some new products for these heads that will be unveiled soon. They will be available through Jake. More on that later.

The 2nd plug will allow much more compression on pump gas than a single plug will, meaning despite the displacement we can run a small chamber. Two plugs in a chamber of this volume will have an awsome flame propogation rate and coverage. I expect excellent B.S.F.C. #'s from this combo.

Apparently the world will be hearing a lot more in the coming months about this powerplant and the special car it is going into.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

No doubt... we are running 11:1 on pump gas with a FLAT TOP piston with this combo...
This car will see time at Monaco, Leman, Nurbergring and SPA- I simply can't wait to see what our european counterparts think about it when it's unveiled at Leman.... I hope to be able to stand there somewhat in stealth mode as they would never expect to see me so far from home!
Can Drive Soon

Post by Can Drive Soon »

Just one stupid question, how much did these heads cost? It seems like they would be the motherload of all VW heads, 5 Gs apiece?
Wesayso

Post by Wesayso »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:We have offered a twin plug arrangement since 2001, but this is the first time the plugs have been installed with this much detail and with a super modified, complimentary chamber shape.
I would love to see some pictures! This really is a cool project and that Spyder is getting an engine it deserves! Can't wait to see some new pictures of the car as well!
MASSIVE TYPE IV

This set of heads cost very similar to my Billet heads with all the custom work done to them.
At any price a set of heads like this is a deal!

Hell they have the same valve train that we use in our FP race engines- that valve train alone costs about 1200 bucks.
HAM Inc

Post by HAM Inc »

If you have to ask how much... well you all know the rest of that arrogant quote.

As I have always said; "If you want to push the envelope, you better stuff it with cash."

There will be some photos coming soon.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Thats a good one, Len..
I'll have to remember that!
HAM Inc

Post by HAM Inc »

Thanks! it's my take on Banjo Mathews famous expression "Speed cost money. How fast do you want to go?"
Another good one that has been around for years, that I have no idea who penned, is "Fast, cheap, reliable. choose any two"
Can Drive Soon

Post by Can Drive Soon »

Know what would be a cool abstract picture, the amount of gold required to purchase the heads sitting next to the heads themselves..