I have a concern...the "single shear" you have setup on your top shock mount MAY give you trouble. No...it wont just fall off when you drive it around, but when you start to really beat this thing, I feel that it's going to fall apart like big wheel ridden by a fat kid.
I assume you are just running through rods and no leaf springs...right? If that is the case, then all of the weight of the front of your car is kept up by the one bolt on top of your shock. Unlike many...I do not feel that it is going to shear off your bolt, if you use a grade eight or nine anyway. What I am worried about is the mount itself giving way. When you land with a single shear, it will be attempting to twist the mount sideways, instead of push it straight up like a double shear. Something to think about anyway. Looking good.
Your right about the single shear. the front end is not "finished" yet, this is just how its gonna sit, it will be a doubble shear mount i guess you would call it, your right though, thats allot of load on a single shear mount.
easy fix, i will take your advice and get her done
i think i could have a hoop bent up that would run from the upper beam support tubes...around the outside of the shock...and back towards the upper beam support tube..near the back of the dash.
anyway, thanks for the comment! i dont want it falling apart!
Same BC Cale from ICQ years back? Dude, I thought you had a backyard beater of a baja, that thing is looking sweet. I gotta get some updated pictures of mine uploaded. Do you messenger on MSN or AIM?
scott the viking wrote:I have a concern...the "single shear" you have setup on your top shock mount MAY give you trouble. No...it wont just fall off when you drive it around, but when you start to really beat this thing, I feel that it's going to fall apart like big wheel ridden by a fat kid.
I assume you are just running through rods and no leaf springs...right? If that is the case, then all of the weight of the front of your car is kept up by the one bolt on top of your shock. Unlike many...I do not feel that it is going to shear off your bolt, if you use a grade eight or nine anyway. What I am worried about is the mount itself giving way. When you land with a single shear, it will be attempting to twist the mount sideways, instead of push it straight up like a double shear. Something to think about anyway. Looking good.
Scott...
For us idiots, newbies and weekenders.
Please define "SHEAR"
Some of us are forklift drivers, accountants, TV sales folks and slum-lords.
NOTE... SHMO had a great how to on shock placement etc... this goes back to last fall.
I have no idea what shear is, I just heard someone say it on tv once and have been throwing it around ever since, I never expected anyone to call me on it.
Seriously though...when the term single and dual shear is mentioned, it simply refers to how the bolt is supported in the mount. Take a look at kid's upper shock mount, now lets just say for the sake of argument that the buggy hit the ground SO hard that the force of the shock actually forced his bolt to "shear" off. In kid's situation, the bolt would only shear in one spot (single) but if he had a mount where it supported the head of the bolt and the shank of the bolt, the it would shear in two places (dual). So you want your shock mounted in between two mounts, not at the end of one. A little later I will post a picture of a dual shear so you get a better idea.
So the best route is to place the top mount of a shock between a U Shaped Steel or some kind of Yoke?
Got it... Scott... if you ever need a complex chart or some other talent that years of Econ can provide you --- I'm on your team.
If I get a few minutes, I'll pull out SHMO's comments... unfortunately he doesn't sign in 1/2 the time... his screen name is "guest" He had some great stuff about placement.
With the rear suspension collapsed to almost full bump (1-inch from fully bottomed out), the shock angle should be at 90 degrees in relation to the trailing arm. The rear suspension of a dual pivot VW suspension (IRS) will camber during the suspension cycle. Therefore, I have always figured that the shock should be mounted perfectly vertical in the middle of that cycle.
In regards to the dual shear mounts, obviously they are considerably stronger. However, they are not always needed for shocks alone. BUUUUUT in the case of a coilover setup (or air shock in the case) when the entire weight of the vehicle is riding on the mounts themsleves, a dual shear is the only way to go. Some guys even go the point of adding a dual shear mount to the trailing arm itself, but it is not gernally needed for average human abuse.
Here is a great dual shear setup, absoultely bulletproof.
HEY MAN! yeah its the same BC Cale from ICQ, 11910763 its been a long time! did you not have a super that you were bajaing?
i think i found u on MSN but if not, shoot me an e mail with your info.
or you can try and add me with: [email protected]
its been ages since i have used that e mail account, and i now think its shut down, but i figure it will still work for adding me to MSN,
and about the back yard beater baja...thats how it all started LOL i have had 4..or is it 5 bajas now, this is the first one that i have gotten close to what i have been looking for..its just taken a few years for me to smarten up sell my turbo street bug, so i could pay for this thing.