Bradley Exhaust and Heat

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
User avatar
tallqball
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:01 am

Bradley Exhaust and Heat

Post by tallqball »

I'm collecting parts to upgrade my Bradley GT kit car to a 2270. I should have asked Jake when I was talking to him, but what exhaust works on this car? I know that I'll be ditching the 411 heat exchangers and going to a header system.

Which brings me to my second question. How do I make heat? I need to blow something besides my breath to be able to drive it on many of these Michigan mornings. 8)

Has anyone put a gas heater in these kit cars? :?: I'm also considering putting a Porsche rack and pinion up front. The gas tank is in back in these cars.

Thanks everyone!

Dave
User avatar
dstar
Posts: 3733
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:01 am

Post by dstar »

DO you have a GT or a GT II?

As for exh, almost anything will fit!
:lol:

These 79 HEs(heat exchangers) were cut down for my GT:

Image

914 header and straight tru muffler:

Image

Nice, LOUD growl!
:twisted:

Don
User avatar
tallqball
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:01 am

Post by tallqball »

I have a Bradley GT. Not as nice as a GTII, but lighter!

I know almost anything will fit, but since the engine is the rearmost part of the car, systems like the A-1 would stick about a foot and a half past the car. The car is pretty low ( I lowered the front and back a little). I actually have scrapped the lower muffler bracket a few times on my current quiet power exhaust. :o

You have a nice looking system, but I'd have to change that glass pack to a muffler. I had one of those systems once on the T1 motor, and I was deaf after an hour's drive! :!:
User avatar
dstar
Posts: 3733
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:01 am

Post by dstar »

Yea, I have driven my GT for 3 hrs non-stop and was almost deaf
when I *landed*.
:twisted:

I dint lower it, but I do run 195/60 14s in front and 225/60 15s in the rear.

Don't havea pic with those rims, but here's a pic with 14 slotted on front and N50 15s in the rear:

Image

:twisted:

Had to get rid of THOSE........

Don
User avatar
tallqball
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:01 am

Post by tallqball »

I agree, never did like wheels that stuck past the body work. I have 14x6 American racing wheels, kind of a BBS knock off. I ran 235/60/14 rear, 195/70/14 front. But I digress. :roll:

Not sure how to post a picture, or I'd include it.

What do you do for heat? Anything?

Dave
User avatar
dstar
Posts: 3733
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:01 am

Post by dstar »

Nothing, I live in SC! If I needed it, I wouild put another oil cooler
in the cabin and blow cabin air around it. :lol:

But really, I don't bother. I only have a 15 minute drive to work and
the heat in the 78 Westy is just getting toasty by then.
:?

Don
User avatar
tallqball
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:01 am

Post by tallqball »

Dstar,

That's probably a better solution. I already have a front mount cooler from when I had cooling issues with the suitcase fan setup. I could just mount it higher and make a heat exchanger around it. Sounds safer than mixing a gas heater and fiberglass! :shock:

Dave
User avatar
dstar
Posts: 3733
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:01 am

Post by dstar »

I agree!

IF you are having engine overheating issue, PLEASE check timing and AF ratio.

Every engine that I have seen geeting too hot, was because of those things, well, except the one that ate the plastic bag and spit the shreds on top of all the finnage..........which promptly melted into a slab of goo....
:oops:

Don
User avatar
tallqball
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:01 am

Post by tallqball »

Timing was on, believe I ran 12 deg. Never checked the A/F, but now I have an analyzer, so that will be checked.

DTM showed up today. Never really sealed the suitcase motor in the Bradley, and it just sucked too much heat in. Hey, it was my first car and first engine build. It was a bad mutha in that little car on a cold day though!

Dave
User avatar
dstar
Posts: 3733
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:01 am

Post by dstar »

12 is kinda high, depending on quench and port work.
7.5 and 10 was factory.

Could you pick up the fronts?
:twisted:

I have my engine bay sectioned off with sheets of alu.

Everything is boxed and the air is separated.
Intake, carbs and cooling air.

Now to just finish the engine this weekend.
Got my cam, so now it is clearancing time!

Jake, have you got any clearanced T4 rods on the shelf?
You know what crank I got.

Don
User avatar
tallqball
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:01 am

Post by tallqball »

All I can say is it was a long time ago. 12 may have what I ran when I saw the little bits of aluminum on the spark plugs.... I know I backed down after that!!!!! Again, first car, first engine......

If I had a stock flywheel I could of, especially with stiffer shocks. It is lightened to 12.5 lbs. I have Koni shocks, which are sooo much better than the Sears Heavy Dutys that were on it. With that set up was super lite up front on accels.

1st gear good to almost 30 mph. It does that in less than 60 ft. You can't shift fast enough out of 1st. By the time you dump the clutch and hit the long pedal, you're at rev limit. Has short shifter too. No tire spin.

If the Fed Ex man and I could connect, I'll have my DTM. I will definitely seal things properly this time.
Locked