Page 1 of 1

type 4 in a autostik bug...

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:03 pm
by 76campmobile
Jake, Just read in another of your post that you'll be installing one in auto bug.
I have a 71 super autostik and was toying with the idea of swapping out engine and tranny for a manual.....now I hear you come out with this hmmmmmm.....

How well will a auto tranny hold up w/ a stock/mild type 4??? Are they strong enough? what about slippage?

Must have a really funky flexplate??

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:19 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Auto trannys are damn near bullet proof....

I'll know more about the flexplate mods when I do it all myself, which will be in the summer.

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:25 pm
by 76campmobile
Cool!! I have 3 "spare" trannies under the workbench.
What about them makes them bullitproof? The case? Pinion?

Hows the gearing ratio on a 71 super? ok for type 4 touque?

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:39 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
The car I'm converting is also a 71 Super... I don't know how the gearing is just yet- this is something I have never tried before.

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:16 am
by 66 deluxe
Auto's, you ever jump in it and push your left foot to the ground, forgetting their is no clutch, i do everytime i get in my notchy auto and laugh.

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:40 am
by Marc
deleted

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:44 am
by Marc
MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:Auto trannys are damn near bullet proof....
Full-automatics are one thing; AutoSticks another. Basically an AutoStick is just a manual trans with 1st gear left out and some parts rearranged to make room for a compact internal flywheel & clutch assembly, and that's the weak link - it's intended only for operating fully-engaged or fully-disengaged and will fry quickly if abused. They will handle a little more power than a stock engine, say 90HP, provided you don't run around speed-shifting betweeen gears - but there's nothing inside that's any more robust than in a 4-speed.

As for gearing, it's the same as an early AH trans (2.06/1.26/.89 x 4.125); between that and the torque converter slippage it'll keep a Type IV buzzing on the highway if you don't fit some big tires.

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:51 am
by Tom Notch
A lot of autosuck tranz have a 2.25 "1st" gear, which is actually in a normal 4 speed a 2nd. I wouldn't use an auto stick behind much more than a stock T1 engine.


And yes the flex plate will be custom...........

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:09 am
by dstar
Just put a Vanagon auto in it and be done with it!

Yea, Welding IS involved!
:lol:

Don

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:27 pm
by Marc
The ratios I listed earlier came from the orange Bentley manual (`70-up).
It says here, though, that low gear is 2.24 and the R&P is 4.375:
http://www.volks.org/vwar/tecnical/specifications.php
...I suspect the 4.375 is a Euro-spec with 1300cc engine; have to find a Blue Bentley to see if the `68/`69 US-market box came with different ratios than the `70-up. I was unaware that there were two torque converters - perhaps the 2.5:1 is also only found in the small-motor cars.
With ~2:1 torque multiplication from the converter, it's not an issue starting out in what is analogous to a 4-speed's 2nd gear. In fact, Low in an AutoStick is intended to be reserved for special conditions (like starting up a steep grade with a heavy load) - normally you drive them in "1" (which is like 3rd in a 4-speed) from zero to ~45MPH.

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:47 pm
by bugninva
Marc wrote: have to find a Blue Bentley to see if the `68/`69 US-market box came with different ratios than the `70-up. I was unaware that there were two torque converters - perhaps the 2.5:1 is also only found in the small-motor cars.
With ~2:1 torque multiplication from the converter, it's not an issue starting out in what is analogous to a 4-speed's 2nd gear. .
my bentley that covers the 66-69 beetle and karmann ghia says the autostick ratios are as follows:

1st gear 2.06 (low range)
2nd gear 1.26 (first range)
3rd gear 0.89 (second range)
reverse 3.07

4.375 ring and pinion

2:1 max torque multiplication