Page 2 of 2

Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:21 pm
by hotbug1776
Anonymous wrote:Speaking of hearing your bass in your bug.... my experience with mine was like this: I had (2) 12" DVC Lanzar DC series subs (competition speakers) in a sealed box in the luggage compartment behind the back seat. Powered by a 250a2 Rockford Fosgate Amp (back from before they sold out to Best Buy). They sounded absolutely incredible and created amazing SPL, but apparently the bug was so sound proof that you really couldn't hear it much outside of the car.

-Pete
When there's that much sound inside the car and none is getting outside, SPL has to be incredibly high in there.

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:15 am
by dub.style
Thanks alot for you're help. I'm just in the process of sound deadening my car. I'm running Alpine 5 1/4 speakers and 6 1/2 speakers off of the deck for now (uprgrade to amp later).

As well, I'll either be running one 12 " Alpine type R dual voice coil sub, or two 12" Alpine type S single voice coils subs. I'm building a box for them behind the back seat in the luggage compartment, I'll be running the two subs off an Alpine 600 watt max amp I've purchased (MRV-T707), and I'm now looking for a yellowtop battery like I've been advised.

I know it would be good to have, but with this setup, and this amp, will the extra battery be necessary? or will the stock alternator be able to handle this load for a while? Thanks.

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:02 am
by hotbug1776
you should be alright with the stock unit at 500w, I wouldn't go much more than that though. The battery would be a big upgrade if you want more power. The stock setup is fine for an entry level system.

Personal opinion, ditch the Alpines, go with Infinity's, much better sound IMO. plus they can run in a .4 ft3 box.

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:54 pm
by Guest
I know what you mean, I'd go for infinity's if I could. I'm only 16, and paying off the car, parts, a system, and insurance by working my butt off. In other words, money's tight! :? The only reason I'm going with the alpines is I can get them new for dirt cheap, just because they were used as floor models. But we'll see, I haven't bought them yet, and if someting else better comes my way, I'll but it instead.

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:27 pm
by Kenny2428
I have two Infinity 6x9s in my Bug, and they sound awsome, well worth the extra cash. What do you guys think of their subs?

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:55 am
by 1970beetle
Infinity subs are suppoed to be good, but there's better for the money. I am a stong believe in www.edesignaudio.com . They're price to performance is unbeatble! I'm lookin to get a 12" form them an a 500 watt amp from em.

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:18 am
by hotbug1776
1970beetle wrote:Infinity subs are suppoed to be good, but there's better for the money. I am a stong believe in www.edesignaudio.com . They're price to performance is unbeatble! I'm lookin to get a 12" form them an a 500 watt amp from em.
for SQ, Infinity has few equals, Edesigns make a supurb sub for the price, but Infinity set the mark for performance. It is the sub everyone compares themselves to. I've been researching Edesigns and other subs since our little "encounter" 1970, and Edesigns are great for the cost, but the only sub that performs in a .4ft3 box is the Infinifty 12dvq perfect, the Infinity is also the benchmark for SQ on all the sound forums. If SPL is the goal, look elsewhere, but for SQ, Infinity.

No arguement, it's just my personal opinion.

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:33 pm
by 1970beetle
hotbug1776 wrote:
1970beetle wrote:Infinity subs are suppoed to be good, but there's better for the money. I am a stong believe in www.edesignaudio.com . They're price to performance is unbeatble! I'm lookin to get a 12" form them an a 500 watt amp from em.
for SQ, Infinity has few equals, Edesigns make a supurb sub for the price, but Infinity set the mark for performance. It is the sub everyone compares themselves to. I've been researching Edesigns and other subs since our little "encounter" 1970, and Edesigns are great for the cost, but the only sub that performs in a .4ft3 box is the Infinifty 12dvq perfect, the Infinity is also the benchmark for SQ on all the sound forums. If SPL is the goal, look elsewhere, but for SQ, Infinity.

No arguement, it's just my personal opinion.
ED sub's are actually SQL subs, I'd easily say they beat out infinity subs, and infinity is by far not the benchmark, JL audio's W7 is.
also, what alightment is the infinitiy sub box in in that tiny box? ED makes a 8" that will work in .4 btw :D

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:47 am
by hotbug1776
what do you want to know 1970, here's the info on the infinity 12dvq:

sealed enclosure
low Q insert
4 ohm dual VC
sensitivity 92db
400w rms/ 1600 peak
vas 3.31ft3
fs 22.01hz
qms 10.52
qes .31
qts .30
xmax .6875" one way
in a .4ft.3 enclosure
vb .4ft.3
f3 60hz
2db ripple
-4db level at 20hz in car

from what winisd says, the infinity 12dvq will produce more spl at lower frequencies using the same sized box. the E12A pruduces a peak of 106DB at 50hz whereas the infinity produces 108db at 50hz and this continues to the bottom of the hz range.
the E12a loses about 4.5db efficiency at 50hz whereas the infinity loses 1.5db of efficiency at 50hz.

comparing the 12w7 to the infinity:
jl 107db at 50hz infinity 108db spl
jl 2.6db loss of efficiency at 50hz infinity 1.5db loss at 50hz

according to winisd infinity performs better in a .4ft3 box, thats where I got my info from, that and other forums. I don't want to fight, just putting out an opinion 1970. it's all preference, nothing personal, I just prefer Infinity, to ED, I guess I like to go against the norm. ;)

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:15 pm
by 1970beetle
hotbug1776 wrote:what do you want to know 1970, here's the info on the infinity 12dvq:

sealed enclosure
low Q insert
4 ohm dual VC
sensitivity 92db
400w rms/ 1600 peak
vas 3.31ft3
fs 22.01hz
qms 10.52
qes .31
qts .30
xmax .6875" one way
in a .4ft.3 enclosure
vb .4ft.3
f3 60hz
2db ripple
-4db level at 20hz in car

from what winisd says, the infinity 12dvq will produce more spl at lower frequencies using the same sized box. the E12A pruduces a peak of 106DB at 50hz whereas the infinity produces 108db at 50hz and this continues to the bottom of the hz range.
the E12a loses about 4.5db efficiency at 50hz whereas the infinity loses 1.5db of efficiency at 50hz.

comparing the 12w7 to the infinity:
jl 107db at 50hz infinity 108db spl
jl 2.6db loss of efficiency at 50hz infinity 1.5db loss at 50hz

according to winisd infinity performs better in a .4ft3 box, thats where I got my info from, that and other forums. I don't want to fight, just putting out an opinion 1970. it's all preference, nothing personal, I just prefer Infinity, to ED, I guess I like to go against the norm. ;)
Maybe in that tiny box it performs better, but there is no reason someone can't fit a 2 ft sealed box in a bug. Btw, that box isn't a good one... too high of a F3. ED subs are small box drivers, but not that small, as you lose too much. They do have an 8" driver that would work great in that size box. And please never ever ever ever compare an infinity sub to a W7. It is the best sub BAR NONE. If you can't fit it, your loss.
Oh and that infinity sub does not have a ton of xmas.
Winisd is not so good at seeing what subs actually will sound like in you car, because it cannot, and will never. account for cabin gain, amongst other things. It is simply good for box design.
And FYI, infininty is way more main steam than ED. Mostly car audio forum goers guy their stuff, although they are in a few magazines. You can only buy them from ED in the us.

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:34 am
by hotbug1776
1970beetle wrote: And FYI, infininty is way more main steam than ED. Mostly car audio forum goers guy their stuff, although they are in a few magazines. You can only buy them from ED in the us.
from what I'm seein on the forums ED is startin to be a mainstream sub, everybody's buyin these things!! ;) :lol:

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:12 pm
by 1970beetle
hotbug1776 wrote:
1970beetle wrote: And FYI, infininty is way more main steam than ED. Mostly car audio forum goers guy their stuff, although they are in a few magazines. You can only buy them from ED in the us.
from what I'm seein on the forums ED is startin to be a mainstream sub, everybody's buyin these things!! ;) :lol:
Not quite.. there is alot of forum member buying them, but infinty is 10 times a smain steam, as you can actually buy them at a store.
ED is a small company, its run by a 22 year old :shock:

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:10 am
by Guest
dub,
600 W Rms amp will pull like 80 amps at max. Usually it wont be pulling that (unless you are really cranking the bass all the time). Don't go with a second battery as this will not help with the charging problem. It will only allow you to listen to the radio longer with car off. Further the yellow top is a deep cycle, and they tend to be slower to respond to power spikes than conventional automotive batterys. What a power cap will do is what Bobby74 said, provide a buffer for the amp. Sometimes the regulator in the alt is slow to respond so you get a slight dim in the lights when a bass note hits. A 1 Fd cap will solve that. You can get one on Ebay for like 40 bucks. I don't know the output of your alt but pretty sure it is going to be a little to small for prolonged high volume output. But I would sugest getting the system you want in the first place and if you have problems with the charging system, limit the output (turn down the gains) untill you can upgrade the alt. Be aware that with really high output alt's the (car) at idle apmrage output can be very low.

1970,
The Infinity is made for small boxes which is why it has such small Xmas. By the way WTF is with all the "sir's"?

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:40 pm
by 1970beetle
Anonymous wrote:dub,
600 W Rms amp will pull like 80 amps at max. Usually it wont be pulling that (unless you are really cranking the bass all the time). Don't go with a second battery as this will not help with the charging problem. It will only allow you to listen to the radio longer with car off. Further the yellow top is a deep cycle, and they tend to be slower to respond to power spikes than conventional automotive batterys. What a power cap will do is what Bobby74 said, provide a buffer for the amp. Sometimes the regulator in the alt is slow to respond so you get a slight dim in the lights when a bass note hits. A 1 Fd cap will solve that. You can get one on Ebay for like 40 bucks. I don't know the output of your alt but pretty sure it is going to be a little to small for prolonged high volume output. But I would sugest getting the system you want in the first place and if you have problems with the charging system, limit the output (turn down the gains) untill you can upgrade the alt. Be aware that with really high output alt's the (car) at idle apmrage output can be very low.

1970,
The Infinity is made for small boxes which is why it has such small Xmas. By the way WTF is with all the "sir's"?
You should register.. anon..
I looked into that sub a few days ago. Nice that you can change the Q of it for differnt box sizes, but its not for me. I'm kinda thinking of not even getting a sub now because of the added weight. I'm consifering building a 1776 or 1915.. do some 1/8th mile runs ya know..

Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:46 pm
by CTACH
I agree w/ 1970 Beetle the cap is a Bandaid, put a high amp alt, in it and be done.