Page 2 of 2
Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:42 am
by 2332 baja
If you decide to buy hand ported heads, the machinist may be able to guide you in the right direction. I've heard good things about Steve Tims, DRD, & AJ Simms hand ported heads on a few forums. And, I saw a good deal on Steve Tims street heads on the Samba. I'm using 1.25's for a total lift of 525. Haven't had a chance to put in on a dyno or take it to the local strip yet, but it's definately a fast car. It pulls good from around 2200 and great from 4000. It is supposed to run strong from 4 to 7200, but I have my rev limiter set at 5600 to keep me from overreving during break-in. I've got total seal 2nd rings and finally got them seated good after about 200 miles. I'm getting the itch to take the limiter out but I was told to put around 1000 miles on it first.
Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:12 pm
by Guest
so I can have the motor built by cb performance without the heads and then order a set of hand ported heads from AJ and install them myself?
-Leo
Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:15 pm
by Bklyn63
didnt log in again sorry....
I have also heard good things about AJ's heads...the question is who should build my motor, CB or is AJ only good with heads?
Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:57 pm
by 2332 baja
Yea, CB will build a short block (no pistons, cylinders, or heads) for you. That's what I got from them. And, I'm not sure if AJ builds engines, I do know that Steve Timms does. I've heard they both do great port work.
Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:02 pm
by Bklyn63
I'll have to give them a call and ask..is 12 second doable in a full trim bug? considering Iselect the correct gear ratio on the tranny?
Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:11 am
by Kenny2428
You might need a turbo for that.
What year is your Bug?
Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:10 am
by Guest
63