Page 15 of 16
Re: 2.8L Chevy Adventurewagen
Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:13 pm
by fastmc25
Clyde broke a Crankshaft this past weekend...in the middle of "Nowhere Arkansas" ..... Thankful to have had AAA.... they got us home...
I am starting the teardown now to see how bad it was... Happened at 35 mph while accellerating to 55mph.. Not hard on the throttle at all .. Appears to have broken right behind the flywheel at the rod journal ....
Photo110.jpg
Photo119.jpg
Re: 2.8L Chevy Adventurewagen
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:10 pm
by fastmc25
Well after a couple hours and crying in a few margaritas..... i decided to get to it.... Upon teardown engine looked normal for a 30,000 mile motor .... oil looked good, the water came out clean.. No noticeable indicators of trouble...
Upon pulling the oil pan i found the trouble... Broken crank right on the #6 rod journal... It was flat twisted off... .....The bearings were great condition except for where the damage happened.. the wobbling main journal scare the bearings up a bit but no other damage to be found... Block good, rods will be checked anyway... Looks like the crank just gave up...
Clyde's sick 2.JPG
Clyde's sick 3.JPG
Clyde's sick 4.JPG
Clyde's sick 6.JPG
Clyde's sick 5.JPG
I guess i'll make some decisions as to what direction i'll take with this motor... some friends are egging me on to change to a 4.3 Chevy 90 degree motor...
I'm looking at the GM Performance crate motor in a 3.4Liter and add fuel injection .....
Anyone have some money i can borrow...

Re: 2.8L Chevy Adventurewagen
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:27 pm
by sideshow
Yikes, is that a cast crankshaft?
Re: 2.8L Chevy Adventurewagen
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:17 am
by fastmc25
sideshow wrote:Yikes, is that a cast crankshaft?
Yep..... Looking for a forged one now.. or just go bigger..

Re: 2.8L Chevy Adventurewagen
Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:53 am
by fastmc25
Clyde's getting a Factory new 3.4Liter Stroker Crate motor........ Just ordered it from GM's Performance Catalog... More torque and a stronger engine in general... Can't wait to get it in...
I'll probably rebuild the original 2.8 and sell it local for some S-10 driver..
F20043703.gif
Re: 2.8L Chevy Adventurewagen
Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:26 pm
by GS guy
Nice, no replacement for displacement!
I'm pretty shocked at that crank breaking like that. I'm making a guess that you weren't drag racing the Bus! Can't imagine what would cause the crank to break like that, other than a factory defect/crack in the original casting? Should have easily lasted 100K miles.
The new motor should make a nice swap.
Re: 2.8L Chevy Adventurewagen
Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:18 pm
by fastmc25
[quote="GS guy"]Nice, no replacement for displacement!
I'm pretty shocked at that crank breaking like that. I'm making a guess that you weren't drag racing the Bus! Can't imagine what would cause the crank to break like that, other than a factory defect/crack in the original casting? Should have easily lasted 100K miles. [quote]
I was shocked too... sure was glad i had AAA... i'd never used it before but it paid for itself in one tow..
The 3.4 Liter will be a stronger and more reliable motor i hope... GM dropped the 2.8 and replaced it with a 3.1 then the 3.4. Both have a stronger crankshaft.. I'm hoping the extra HP and torque will be worth it.. It came with a 3 year - 100,000 mile warranty also from GM.. Can't wait for it to get here..

Re: 2.8L Chevy Adventurewagen
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:02 am
by fastmc25
CLYDE IS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!
Well i finally got it installed this past week and started it up today...... It sounds awesome and runs very strong. After some break in runs and oil change, i'll finish buttoning him back up for a road test... I can't wait... Good oil pressures and water temps also ..
Photo1453333.JPG
Photo161.jpg
Photo195333.JPG
The oil temp guage is actually my water temp gauge...
Photo196.jpg
Re: 2.8L Chevy Adventurewagen
Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:12 pm
by itlives
Clyde has a much deeper rumble now. I haven't rode in him with the 3.4 yet -but I will!
Re: 2.8L Chevy Adventurewagen
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:23 am
by fastmc25
After a few days of inital driving... Cycling through different driving styles i feel the engine is ready ... I changed the oil yesterday with no event.. reset the timing and Clyde is on the road..

He definatly has more power... very smooth powerband and just goes....
I decided Clyde needed his offroad lights back on..... so while looking for the ones i took off i realized they were in bad shape.... So Clyde got some KC Daylighters .... now he's Happy...

Re: 2.8L Chevy Adventurewagen
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:25 am
by superwrench73
You had put a link on one of your posts for hardcore axles that you thought about using, but they were like $700 ea side. I looked back but couldn't find it. What was that link again? I swapped some standard 930 cvs back in place of my race prepped 930s in hopes that it would get rid of the clackity clack clack clack... It made it alot quieter, but they still make noise, so I may upgrade to the axles you posted in the future.
Re: 2.8L Chevy Adventurewagen
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:31 pm
by fastmc25
Here ya go ... I still want these...
http://www.highangledriveline.com/sandrails.html
maybe later.. then i'll reinstall my lift.. i really miss it being up more..
Re: 2.8L Chevy Adventurewagen
Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:30 am
by fastmc25
After driving Clyde for a week with the new motor, I've decided that i'm satisfied with my choice...
This 3.4 is so much smoother on acceleration, has a deeper tone at the exhaust and definatly more power...

I have about 100 miles on it so far and am driving it everyday... Oil pressure is great and the temps remain normal.....
I have one small oil leak at the distributor mount gasket... I'm going to have to replace it..

Other than that it's dry..
More to come...

Re: 2.8L Chevy Adventurewagen
Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:19 pm
by Tristessa
fastmc25 wrote:More to come...

Video...? I'd like to hear that rumble, and Louisiana is a bit far from Oregon to just cruise down for a listen.

Re: 2.8L Chevy Adventurewagen
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:57 am
by fastmc25
Tristessa wrote:fastmc25 wrote:More to come...

Video...? I'd like to hear that rumble, and Louisiana is a bit far from Oregon to just cruise down for a listen.

I would but my camera is toast right now... but i do have a small video from my phone..... it's not he greatest but it's right after first start up...
http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i160/ ... deo004.mp4