Page 3 of 3

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:59 pm
by Leatherneck
Need to come up with a new word, " HUGE" is not big enough for that.

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:26 pm
by scott the viking
GYMUNGUS?

JYE-MUN- GUS

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:45 pm
by david58
Ok I brought this thread back up. It has a lot of good info in it. I understand the double shear theory, but what I don’t understand is why it isn’t equally important to have the bottom of the shock double sheared also. The bottom of the shock holds the car up just as much as the top of the shock does. I don’t see anyone’s front shocks double sheared on both ends. You all know I hardly ever get on the computer and never search for anything, and or post pics.
Image

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:32 pm
by scott the viking
Well....I don't have a lot of room to talk either, my front-end is single shear as well....On both ends. I would say that it is equally as important on both ends...just easier to deal with on the top. Now...I am just a sand duner and there is a MASSIVE difference between that and desert running....but I have yet to have a problem with a single shear front....That does not mean that I never will...but as for now...it's been holding up.

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:25 pm
by Leatherneck
One thing about the single shear which I have, I bent a shock top and in doing so the nut loosened or just wanted to find a better home either way the bolt is bent and I do not think I would of had that problem with a double shear, So when I go coil overs it will be dbls all the way around.

It is just a matter of Good, Better , Best.

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:38 pm
by Tacoma_Kyle
I think with the lower arms they tend to be more solid than your shock hoops. Arent the arms typically make of higher strength steels (DOM or chromoly) at something like .25" to .375" wall? Also consider the moment forces on a front arm vs a shock tower (leverage).

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:44 pm
by david58
Tacoma_Kyle wrote:I think with the lower arms they tend to be more solid than your shock hoops. Arent the arms typically make of higher strength steels (DOM or chromoly) at something like .25" to .375" wall? Also consider the moment forces on a front arm vs a shock tower (leverage).
Even if they are it is only one bolt that is supported on one side. I see the same force supplied to the bottom of the coil over shock as to the top of it.